Book Group: The Memory Activity Book by Helen Lambert

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
This month, Dementia Together magazine's book group is focusing on The Memory Activity Book by Helen Lambert. If you've read it or are planning to, we'd love to hear what you think.

You can find the book >here<

Memoryactivitybookstanding.jpg

Here's a quick summary of what's inside:

Combat and manage the symptoms of dementia and Alzheimer's disease, from memory loss to disorientation with this practical activity book.

From physical activities to crafts and puzzles, the book provides those with memory loss and their carers with ideas, tools and guidance. There are two sections for each activity: one that a person with dementia or memory loss themselves can safely engage and interact with; and another for relatives, friends, and carers, which includes added guidance and information on possible reactions and intended benefits.

Whether you or someone in your life are challenged by this increasingly prevalent condition, this book is a valuable resource designed to stimulate the mind.

Your comments may be included in a future issue of the magazine :)

Please email any comments to magazine@alzheimers.org.uk

Pierwalker

Apr 1, 2017
Dear Harriet,
One year ago I couldn't interest my wife (4 years diagnosed) in any sort of puzzles book, and she gradually lost all interest in reading, watching TV or going to a cinema film. She has now become almost obsessive with a particular set of books - Grandma's (or Grandad's) Books of Puzzles which include crosswords, Sudoku, wordsearch and much more, spending happy hours at a time absorbed while I watch my favourite programmes! So, we' re both happy to a point. It has set me wondering whether there is any sort of list of such books suitable or recommended for various stages of the Alzheimers progression from the Society or elsewhere?

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
Hi @Pierwalker, sorry that I've only just seen your comment!

I passed your question onto our Knowledge Services team, and I'll let you know if they're able to help with this. Our library manager said: "As your wife progresses it may well be that she finds these less interesting and would prefer another activity, maybe colouring or other sensory activities which she could do with assistance." I hope this is helpful in the meantime.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pescobar