Book Group: 'A Tattoo on my Brain' by Daniel Gibbs

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
Hi everyone,

This month, Dementia together magazine’s book group is reading A Tattoo on my Brain by Daniel Gibbs.

Tell us what you think about this book by a neurologist who was diagnosed with Alzheimer's - either post below or email your thoughts to magazine@alzheimers.org.uk by the end of 2 November so they can be shared in the next issue.

A-Tattoo-on-My-Brain-front-cover.jpg

Where to access this book:

Dunroamin

May 5, 2019
UK
This book has had a great affect on me. I am also a retired health professional (although not a neurologist) and like the author my knowledge and experience led me to being assessed very early despite the dismissive attitude of others. But here is the rub. My insight and experiences are personal to me and no one else can "see" into my world. Added to this is the variation of the road travelled with Alzheimers. Indeed, the emphasis the author puts on an early diagnosis brings various dilemmas. Not all individuals can be honest either with self or others, and therefore issues may be glossed over or missed. I am surrounded by what I call the 'non believers' who say my difficulties are just a reflection of getting older etc etc.

Daniel Gibbs indulged in genealogy and I sketched out my own family genogram - with the results staring me ( and my few remaining relatives) in the face. Gibbs talks about the 'gift of time' that early diagnosis gives and I identify fully with that. I have a very full bucket list and a ****itbucket. His discussions of diet and other early lifestyle interventions are common sense to most of us.

The book is easy to read, shows the authors sense of humour (as opposed to resignation) is meticulously referenced and will be of great interest to future researchers, families of those with dementia and anyone else who happens to come across a copy.

Read - and do not be afraid!

t

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
Thank you so much for sharing your insights, @Dunroamin. Sounds like this book has had a really profound effect on you, which I'm very glad to hear.