Bond in place, what happens next?

Dino

Aug 7, 2011
Hello,
Finally, after quite a while, (I live in the U.S.) I received a letter from the COP granting me Deputyship for my mother's finances.

I have paid the bond online with Howden Bonds and understand they contact the COP and OPG.

Does the COP then send me a formal document saying I am Deputy which I can send to mum's bank manager??

Do I need to send the document anywhere else? Just want to make sure I do everything correctly and with me being in the States it all takes longer.

Thank you for your help.

DeMartin

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Do not send original anywhere!! Only certified copies, not sure how you’ll manage from USA. Contact uk bank and ask if a USA bank can do a certified copy for you to send to them. Not sure if a notary public would be high enough standard.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
You will get at least one copy of the court order
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/deputy-court-order-valid-example

As well as the bank HMRC (tax), DWP (state pension and benefits), and any private pension provider, will need sight of it if you have to deal with them.
I believe your mother to be in residential care so there should not be any utility companies involved.

Not sure about the requirements for certifying copies are.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
You dont get an original with CoP, only some certified copies - the original stays at the Office of Public Guardians.
I think I got sent about 6 copies. I showed copies to mums bank, and Department of Works and Pensions. I sent a copy to mums occupational pension provider (they sent it back again afterwards) and left a copy at mums care home. I used a copy when selling mums bungalow and to have her mail re-directed. Yhey do tell you what to do if you need more copies, but I cant remember what to do as I didnt need any extra - I found the six enough as most people returned them.

Dino

Aug 7, 2011
Thank you all very much!

When I receive the order I'll call mum's bank in England and mine here to make sure I send a copy correctly.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
When I receive the order I'll call mum's bank in England and mine here to make sure I send a copy correctly.

The UK bank will require proof of your identity.
Why does your bank in the U.S. require sight of the order, is the account in your mother's name?
Have you checked with the U.S. bank that they will accept the UK order?