1. Expert Q&A: Protecting a person with dementia from financial abuse - Weds 26 June, 3:30-4:30 pm

Financial abuse can have serious consequences for a person with dementia. Find out how to protect a person with dementia from financial abuse.

Sam, our Knowledge Officer (Legal and Welfare Rights) is our expert on this topic. She will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 26 June between 3:30 - 4:30 pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

1. Bobbywec

Bobbywec Registered User

Nov 24, 2015
    Cannock
    My wife 82 has Alzheimer's, Over the past few months she has been experiencing changes of body temperature. Either very hot or very cold. Does anyone else have experience of this?

2. fizzie

fizzie Registered User

Jul 20, 2011
    Has she got an infection or a virus? Usually body temp is a good indication that something is awry. Have you had GP do an MOT? I think it would be worth checking with your doctor x

3. sleepless

sleepless Registered User

Feb 19, 2010
    Female
    The Sweet North
    Welcome to Talking Point.
    I have no experience of this, but thought I would ask you --
    Does your wife feel cold or hot to you?
    Or is it just a mistaken perception she has, that she is cold or hot?
    We often read on here of people who say they are cold when they clearly aren't, and this seems to be down to the brain not functioning properly regarding sensation of temperature, or sending the wrong messages.

4. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    My wife with LBD lost complete control of body temperature.

It was explained to me as a result of disturbances in autonomic processes.

5. AlsoConfused

AlsoConfused Registered User

Sep 17, 2010
    nitram could you give a bit more detail please?

My Mum's freezing cold to the touch sometimes on her arms and legs but isn't giving any signs that she's cold. We think she can't communicate .. so that may explain the lack of complaint. When she could communicate though she hated being cold (and it took a (minimum!) temperature of 80 degrees F for her to feel warm!).

6. sleepless

sleepless Registered User

Feb 19, 2010
    Female
    The Sweet North
    Does this mean that her brain was failing to control her temperature via the usual mechanisms?
    Did you then have to cover / uncover her accordingly?

7. joggyb

joggyb Registered User

Dec 1, 2014
    My Dad (diagnosed with just Alzheimer's, but we suspect now has mixed dementias) often seems to have no sense of temperature - either his own, or the external temperature. When I visited him on the hottest day of the year this year, he had 4 tops on, plus a winter puffer jacket...

I don't think it's uncommon. As another TPer has said, it's indicative of the brain's degeneration.

8. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    "nitram could you give a bit more detail please?"

>>>THIS<<< may help

9. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    "...Did you then have to cover / uncover her accordingly?..."

Yes, and try to take excessive sweating into account in the fluid balance spreadsheet.

10. stanleypj

stanleypj Registered User

Dec 8, 2011
    North West
    I don't think anyone's mentioned this but do the people they care actually have a high temperature when they feel hot and are sweating? I only ask because Sue sometimes gets hot and sweaty but her temp remains normal.

11. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    "...do the people they care actually have a high temperature when they feel hot and are sweating?"

If they had a high temperature I would class it as fever ask for advice.

Sweating with a normal body temperature could be because the message from the brain saying 'sweat now' is sent erroneously.

Feeling the area sweating to gauge body temperature is not accurate, the skin will be cooled by the evaporation of the sweat.

12. reedysue

reedysue Registered User

Nov 4, 2014
    Scotland
    My mum has had what I would describe as hot flushes for the past year and they seem to be getting worse, they only appear to affect her head and neck, she has a formal diagnosis of Alzheimer's. Our GP has done various tests but has not found anything suspicious and thinks it is probably the part of her brain that senses temperature not working properly.

13. AlsoConfused

AlsoConfused Registered User

Sep 17, 2010
    Thanks for the link, nitram.