Blueberries helpful?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olivia15

Feb 24, 2016
I've heard this before but have read an article today again promoting blueberries as being beneficial for cognitive health.

What do you guys think about these claims?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
This is what I found on a nutrition website.

Health benefits of blueberries
Blueberries are very low in calories. 100 g fresh berries carry just 57 calories. Nonetheless, they possess notable health benefiting plant-nutrients such as soluble dietary fiber, minerals, vitamins, and pigment anti-oxidants that contribute immensely towards optimum health and wellness.

Blueberries are among the highest anti-oxidant value fruits. The ORAC value of 100 g fresh blueberry is 5562 TE (Trolex equivalents). Their antioxidant value largely comes from poly-phenolic anthocyanidin compounds such as chlorogenic acid, tannins, myricetin, quercetin and kaempferol.

Additionally they compose of other flavonoid anti-oxidants such as carotene-ß, lutein and zea-xanthin.

Altogether, the phyto-chemical compounds in the blueberry help rid off harmful oxygen-derived free radicals from the human body, and thereby, protect it against cancers, aging, degenerative diseases, and infections.

Further, research studies suggest that chlorogenic acid in these berries help lower blood sugar levels and control blood-glucose levels in type-II diabetes mellitus condition.

Fresh berries carry small amount of vitamin C, vitamin A and vitamin E. Altogether, these vitamins work as potent anti-oxidants which help limit free radical mediated injury to the body.

The berries also carry a small amount of B-complex group of vitamins such as niacin, pyridoxine, folates and pantothenic acid. These vitamins are acting as co-factors that help in metabolism of carbohydrates, protein, and fats.

Furthermore, they contain a good amount of minerals like potassium, manganese, copper, iron and zinc. Potassium is an important component of cell and body fluids that helps controlling heart rate and blood pressure. Manganese is used by the body as a co-factor for the antioxidant enzyme, superoxide dismutase. Copper is required for the production of red blood cells. Iron is required for red blood cell formation.

So they are a healthy food . :)

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
We eat blueberries and other fruits every day. We have also gone down the route of walnuts, green tea, ground coffee, and every piece of advice that has become known over the last five years. We have been taking fish oil daily for twenty years! We are both healthy but all the berries in the world could not stop John getting Alzheimers and glaucoma exactly at the same age as his father and grandfather. I just wish the plaque on the brain could be scraped away like the plaque on your teeth!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
We were the same Marion. Health food supplements, fresh fruit and vegetables, daily walks. You name it my husband did it .

He did have diabetes type 2 which I do believe was a contributory factor . Even that was not the result of life style but most probably a cultural achilles heel.

Hair Twiddler

Aug 14, 2012
Middle England
My Goodness! I have a minute to log in and say something ( so sorry to read so many sad posts - I am so saddened by so many at this time) So... I only have something flippant to say about blueberries - we love them, Mum & I have our fix EVERY day ... if they're benefiitial that's a bonus however in the here-and-now world we are in they are our legal high. :)

( G - thanks for PM will reply soon :))

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I don't know whether blueberries can stave off dementia. But they are nutritious, tasty and cheap to buy so I don't see the harm in a daily dosis, as long as you don't expect miracles from them. As others have said, you could put yourself under enormous pressure to try everything anyone has ever mentioned as being beneficial and you might still end up with dementia. Or you might not but there is no telling whether it were the blueberries!

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Strikes me that with so many foods allegedly helping the brain, it's a marvel that anyone gets dementia!

Status
Not open for further replies.