Blue Badge

Feline

Oct 25, 2012
East Devon
On 5th July we had a thread about blue badges, I was applying again,so I thought I would let you know that this time after an assessment by a "professional" On behalf of PIP, Rob has been given his blue badge, better late than never, only trouble is he now has no idea how to get in the car and is losing co-ordination, so I can't get him in on my own. My next job is to look at motobility/adaptations or if I can't manage, I may have to look to nursing home care. Not sure about the latter but life is getting even more tricky and help with home care is difficult where we live.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
On 5th July we had a thread about blue badges, I was applying again,so I thought I would let you know that this time after an assessment by a "professional" On behalf of PIP, Rob has been given his blue badge, better late than never, only trouble is he now has no idea how to get in the car and is losing co-ordination, so I can't get him in on my own. My next job is to look at motobility/adaptations or if I can't manage, I may have to look to nursing home care. Not sure about the latter but life is getting even more tricky and help with home care is difficult where we live.

So glad you've eventually got your badge, but sorry about Rob's problems with getting in and out the car. I found with John, the easiest thing was to open the passenger door, get him to put his hands on my shoulders, and say "we're going to have dance" :D, in a bright cheery tone. Needless to say, my voice got less bright and cheery as time went on. :(

Then I would reverse him onto the seat, and swing his legs round. Then try to do the seat belt up. Then I would scurry round to the driver's side, only to find that invariably John had unbuckled his seat belt, and was trying to get out. :eek: Someone suggested a sort of turntable that you can put on the seat, but I eventually found the best thing was to take neighbours up on their offers of "if there's anything I can do to help ........." at the start of a journey, and anyone available at our destination.

I hope others can suggest better solutions for you, but well done on getting the Blue Badge - a really important victory. :)

Feline

Oct 25, 2012
East Devon
So glad you've eventually got your badge, but sorry about Rob's problems with getting in and out the car. I found with John, the easiest thing was to open the passenger door, get him to put his hands on my shoulders, and say "we're going to have dance" :D, in a bright cheery tone. Needless to say, my voice got less bright and cheery as time went on. :(

Then I would reverse him onto the seat, and swing his legs round. Then try to do the seat belt up. Then I would scurry round to the driver's side, only to find that invariably John had unbuckled his seat belt, and was trying to get out. :eek: Someone suggested a sort of turntable that you can put on the seat, but I eventually found the best thing was to take neighbours up on their offers of "if there's anything I can do to help ........." at the start of a journey, and anyone available at our destination.

I hope others can suggest better solutions for you, but well done on getting the Blue Badge - a really important victory. :)

Thanks Scarlett and Cat for your responses. My problem is I need to change the car because being farmers we have a Shogun which is dual purpose ( towing trailers aswell),seven years ago it was a good Idea because although Rob had to give up driving at least he had a good view while I did the driving. He has managed really well because of repetition (you have to get up into our car) but over the last couple of weeks has lost the idea. We have managed with the help of whoever is in the right place at the right time ! I have someone coming out to show me various swivel seats etc, but can't come for a couple of weeks. Luckily Rob is going into Respite for a couple of weeks while I go to Canada, only got invited two weeks ago, couldn't miss the opportunity, so everything is arranged and I,ll catch up with you all when I get back. I'm visiting my nephew and family on their farm, much larger scale than ours !! Take care all, I'll still be thinking of you.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Feline, it doesn't affect blue badge when you change car. The badge goes with the person not the car. The first time I had blue badge, got another car about three weeks later. Didn't tell anybody. Don't forget your husband can use the badge in anybody's else's car as well.
Have a good holiday!