Blue badge

EdgsonW

Jan 14, 2018
Bath
I have a lovely wife who has Alzheimer's plus she has a pelvic problem which causes her pain. This creates a need to visit the toilet frequently.
When I take her in the car I have trouble parking, finding a toilet together with having to hold her hand while she walks as she is becoming unstable and has fallen over recently.
Could I apply for a Blue Badge for her. The BB form does not seem to allow for this.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
I'm not too sure of the exact qualification for a blue badge, but my partner's daughter got one on the basis of her ME with the backing of a letter from her GP. I would recommend speaking to your wife's GP and to the local authority issuing the badge. AgeUK are also very helpful in advising on applying for benefits and suchlike.

Hazara8

Apr 6, 2015
I have a lovely wife who has Alzheimer's plus she has a pelvic problem which causes her pain. This creates a need to visit the toilet frequently.
When I take her in the car I have trouble parking, finding a toilet together with having to hold her hand while she walks as she is becoming unstable and has fallen over recently.
Could I apply for a Blue Badge for her. The BB form does not seem to allow for this.
Speak to your Local Authority and see whether there can be some kind of assessment. I believe the government are now looking into this more closely, which might embrace 'dementia' at last.
Citizens Advice might be well worth approaching. Good luck.

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent

We got a blue badge for my wife due to her dementia. She gets confused in crowded shops etc, so I am able to leave her sitting in the car whilst I pop in. Being able to park close let’s her see where I have gone and she seems to stay calm.

Your local Age UK should be able to help you with your application so worth contacting them.

It does seem to vary from each local authority (which it shouldn’t), so good luck.

Like someone has posted, the government are supposed to improving “guidance” to LAs to try and get a uniform approach for those with mental health issues.

Regards
Phil

EdgsonW

Jan 14, 2018
Bath
Thanks for your information. That helps but the Blue Badge form is a nightmare to fathom out. It seem to be worded in such a confusing way and does not seem to include mental capacity. Mine included!

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
We got a blue badge for my wife due to her dementia. She gets confused in crowded shops etc, so I am able to leave her sitting in the car whilst I pop in. Being able to park close let’s her see where I have gone and she seems to stay calm.

Regards
Phil
Phil, that is actually illegal use of the badge and I believe it could be taken off you for doing that.
Can see why you do it, but do be careful

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I don't know about the blue badge but you can buy Radar keys very cheaply on the internet that will open every disabled toilet in the country, which are often better accessible and also bigger, if you have to assist her.

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
Thanks for your information. That helps but the Blue Badge form is a nightmare to fathom out. It seem to be worded in such a confusing way and does not seem to include mental capacity. Mine included!
Best get help from Age Uk or Citizens Advice with form filling :) Good luck

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Why is it illegal use? I’m intrigued :)
Because it is to enable to person named on it, not their carer. In the instance cited it enables the carer to access a shop, rather than the PWD. ( Granted it keeps the PWD safe, but the blue badge scheme is primarily about mobility/accessibility , not safety)

In a different scenario, it is also illegal use to park up, display the badge and pop into say the chemist to pick up a prescription , leaving the badge holder in the car.

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
That’s comical :) I’d like to think the law would consider the carers situation (fingers crossed)

Wifenotcarer

Mar 11, 2018
Central Scotland

I'm in Scotland and got a slightly different form than the standard one. This one is for people with a severe mental impairment and focuses on safety issues e.g. if they are liable to get lost in a car park, wander in front of moving vehicles, or be unable to recognise their own car. I enquired about this after my OH PWD wandered out of the supermarket when I was half way through the checkout and could not follow him immediately. Social Worker helped to fill in the form and We had to submit a copy of the letter giving OH's diagnosis.

pipd

Apr 12, 2015
Leigh on Sea Essex
I'm sure that you are able to use a Blue Badge to park with the holder of the badge as a passenger inside the car and for the driver to nip into a shop or any other place to carry out errands on behalf of the badge holder. As long as the badge holder is present in the vehicle the driver is allowed to use the parking consession according to the rules set out in the booklet provided with the badge. Nowhere in the booklet says it's illegal to do this.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
I’m not sure. I always thought if the driver nipped out and left the pwd in the car, that was illegal. Had a heated discussion with someone once about this. However, later today I will go and get my book, it’s in the car and no way am I going out to the garage at this time of night!

AgeUK filled in OHs form, and there was no problem. Not long afterwards I got one of my own.

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
Phil, that is actually illegal use of the badge and I believe it could be taken off you for doing that.
Can see why you do it, but do be careful

I checked with the local authority that issues badges in our area and explained this aspect (having read the terms and conditions of use). I was informed that this was a legitimate use, provided the badge holder was in the vehicle, given her condition. I had also included this on the application form.

I had previously not considered applying, as like many, I suspect, I assumed they were for people with physical disabilities but the coordinator of a local carer support organisation informed me that people with mental health issues, such as dementia, could apply too.

Interestingly, our LA's online application process takes you through an eligibility stage which is still geared to assessing physical capabilities. So at the end of the tick-box question, it said we were not eligible! I had to ring the helpline and they suggested downloading the paper application and include reasons for applying/intended use etc. This I did and blue badge was issued.

To be honest, most of the occasions where I leave my wife to pop in shops occur in shopping centres, supermarket car parks etc. The disabled spaces are usually nearest to the entrance where my wife can see me going and coming.