Blue badge success

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
Some good news for a change.

Last week we managed to complete the on line application for a blue badge, citing my mother's physical as well as Ad diagnosis. Yesterday an e mail arrived accepting the application and on receipt of a small fee they will send it within a couple of weeks.

I think the word is totally relieved! Dealing with mother in a busy car park with her Tri walker as well as shopping was becoming a challenge. At least something is starting to work

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Well done.

It has been known to be difficult for people with dementia to get Blue Badges.

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
Well done.

It has been known to be difficult for people with dementia to get Blue Badges.
The government guidance has recently changed and dementia is now a supporting condition.
If anyone has been turned down in the past it might be worth making another application.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
I applied for mum five weeks ago and am still waiting to hear! I used a paper form as it gave more space to explain the reasons which are not specifically physical.

At the same time I applied online to a different LA for my own, for purely physical mobility reasons but I expect to be refused so I will appeal and ask for an interview/assessment.

I can feel very determined!

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
I applied for mum five weeks ago and am still waiting to hear! I used a paper form as it gave more space to explain the reasons which are not specifically physical.

At the same time I applied online to a different LA for my own, for purely physical mobility reasons but I expect to be refused so I will appeal and ask for an interview/assessment.

I can feel very determined!

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
That will be a huge weight off your mind @Starting on a journey.

I managed to get one for my late husband but it wasn't a straightforward process in our case and it caused needless stress while I fought his corner.

Even though we only had the badge for the last year of his life, it made a huge difference to being able to get him out and about safely and without anxiety (his and mine!)

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
The government guidance has recently changed and dementia is now a supporting condition.
If anyone has been turned down in the past it might be worth making another application.

Yes I applied for mums blue badge online and put down Alzheimer's and the effect it has on her balance and mobility as well as her OA and knee replacements. Didn't have any problems the application was accepted fairly quickly and its been a real godsend in getting mum to the doctors as well as out and about

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
Does anyone here live in North Somerset as me & a few of my friends with early onset dementia have applied for a blue badge online & each of us have been refused! My lovely friend Sandy who was on the Ch4 Restaurant that makes mistakes has Major balance & walking problems & I can not believe she was refused one!! I plan to take things further & have emailed the Alzheimer’s Society campaign team to ask for their support as we’ve been told it seems to be the North Somerset council? Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you all.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Does anyone here live in North Somerset as me & a few of my friends with early onset dementia have applied for a blue badge online & each of us have been refused! My lovely friend Sandy who was on the Ch4 Restaurant that makes mistakes has Major balance & walking problems & I can not believe she was refused one!! I plan to take things further & have emailed the Alzheimer’s Society campaign team to ask for their support as we’ve been told it seems to be the North Somerset council? Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you all.

I wonder if they did not understand the word early in conjunction with onset? Just had AgeUK to complete an application on line. The rules changed on 30th August. We spent two and a half hours sorting it out including a phone call.
The final submit was then dead so not sure whether it has gone through or not! The advisor will check tomorrow with council, like most things it was outsourced so council could not check easily so waiting on payment.
I will check the bank.
Good luck

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa

That's awful,when you condsider some people manage to get the blue badge and a free car through the mobility system when they haven't got a genuine ailment.They know how to work the system.
That's a fact

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
I went for an assessment for a blue badge ( physical mobility problems ) and have been granted one. The application for one for my mother (pwd) is still pending after almost 3 months. The council say her application is in the next batch to be processed - that was over two weeks ago!