1. Starting on a journey

Starting on a journey Registered User

Jul 9, 2019
    Some good news for a change.

Last week we managed to complete the on line application for a blue badge, citing my mother's physical as well as Ad diagnosis. Yesterday an e mail arrived accepting the application and on receipt of a small fee they will send it within a couple of weeks.

I think the word is totally relieved! Dealing with mother in a busy car park with her Tri walker as well as shopping was becoming a challenge. At least something is starting to work

2. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    Well done.

It has been known to be difficult for people with dementia to get Blue Badges.

3. Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
    The government guidance has recently changed and dementia is now a supporting condition.
    If anyone has been turned down in the past it might be worth making another application.

4. Lynmax

Lynmax Registered User

Nov 1, 2016
    I applied for mum five weeks ago and am still waiting to hear! I used a paper form as it gave more space to explain the reasons which are not specifically physical.

At the same time I applied online to a different LA for my own, for purely physical mobility reasons but I expect to be refused so I will appeal and ask for an interview/assessment.

I can feel very determined!

5. Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019

6. Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
    I hope you are lucky with both applications. It will just make life a little easier for you. Fingers crossed for you.

7. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
  8. LynneMcV

LynneMcV Volunteer Moderator

May 9, 2012
    south-east London
    That will be a huge weight off your mind @Starting on a journey.

I managed to get one for my late husband but it wasn't a straightforward process in our case and it caused needless stress while I fought his corner.

Even though we only had the badge for the last year of his life, it made a huge difference to being able to get him out and about safely and without anxiety (his and mine!)

9. Palerider

Palerider Registered User

Aug 9, 2015
    Male
    North West
    Yes I applied for mums blue badge online and put down Alzheimer's and the effect it has on her balance and mobility as well as her OA and knee replacements. Didn't have any problems the application was accepted fairly quickly and its been a real godsend in getting mum to the doctors as well as out and about