Blue Badge for dementia?

Dimelza

May 28, 2013
Hi
A couple of people have mentioned obtaining a Blue Badge for dad so when we take him out, he can actually get out of the car.
I can't see any way he qualifies unless AA is classed as a "disability benefit"?
He shuffles and is very unsteady never mind the bordering on agoraphobia that he suffers in open, noisy places.
I just wondered if anyone else has blue badges for their loved ones.
I know it would benefit him but I don't have much fight left in me!

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Fill the for in (link below) it's more on physical needs as far as I can see.
They don't understand the mantra "if you've seen one person with dementia, you've seen one person with dementia" your council may say yes, some may say no.
Of itself dementia isn't necessarily a qualification, physical infirmity counts for more, but you can apply, give them al the details and see what happens. Problem is one council might say yes, another no, there really is little logic in it, they make up the rules as they go along.
K

https://www.gov.uk/apply-blue-badge

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hi
A couple of people have mentioned obtaining a Blue Badge for dad so when we take him out, he can actually get out of the car.
I can't see any way he qualifies unless AA is classed as a "disability benefit"?
He shuffles and is very unsteady never mind the bordering on agoraphobia that he suffers in open, noisy places.
Hi Dimelza. Though Having Dementia doesn't qualify a person for a a blue badge I really do think the things you have mentioned that I have bolded may. I am not sure about the near Agraphonpbia but I would definitely include it on the application form.
It's best to fill out forms like this on a worst day scenario and if it possible your dad may wander off, fall or need to park near disabled loo put these at the top of the list on the form oh nearly forgot, if dad has breathing difficulties put that down too.

My Dad has a blue badge, he s not registered disabled nor does he claim AA etc.
He does have difficulty and pain walking his ankle bones have worn away and very mild COPD

The form is easy, from memory I did the form online and I had to go to another page as the list of qualifying reasons were not on the first page.
They may need to do an assessment on your Dad

Last edited:

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
Hi

I contacted Age UK and they sent an adviser to our home He had the forms with him, and he filled them in . I provided photo, proof of ID etc, sent it all off, and hubby received the badge three weeks later.
I had previously tried online but found it too limited when the reasons for needing a badge are complex.
It is a huge help, especially having enough room to open the car door wide enough to encourage him to get in or out. The alternative when in a tight spot is to leave him standing while driving the car out of the space -- very dangerous. This is the sort of thing the Age UK rep put on the form.
Good luck with it.

Johnsy1

Feb 12, 2015
HI

I have just received my mums blue badge in the post today. I filled the form in and told truthfully the fact that when parking the car I could not leave mum in the car on her own as she may wander. I could not leave her to stand at the car as she may wander and therefore safety was an issue.

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
The key thing to remember is that as the whole scheme was set up for people with physical difficulties you have to jump through hoops and explain at every opportunity why the person who is living with dementia needs a blue badge.

And you will probably have to use the 'workaround' I was informed of by the helpline to even get access to the application form online (this may not apply in all Local Authorities).

When you try to apply to your LA, you will probably be redirected to a Directgov Checklist. Click 'other' at bottom of first page of the checklist. This will take you to the second page. Click the second one down which refers to difficulty in walking.

Then you'll eventually be let into the actual application. There is a heavy emphasis on walking in the questions you have to answer and so I used every opportunity I could find to stress that walking unaided my wife was a danger to self and others, couldn't possibly find her way anywhere, is liable trip or topple, has difficulty getting in and out of cars especially where space is restricted, etc. etc

Good luck!

Dimelza

May 28, 2013
Thank you all! I may as well give it a try, you've all given great advice on wording things. I'm terrible at completing worst day scenarios, he was knocked back for AA a couple of years ago then this year I tried again and he's straight onto high rate!

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
It's definitely worth trying. My dad applied for my mam recently and going by everything that's been said on here we didn't really expect 'them' to agree that she needs a blue badge. But dad told 'them', truthfully, about all the difficulties he encounters with car journeys and parking, and she was accepted and now has a blue badge.

Good luck.