Blotchy legs

steffie60

Jan 22, 2013
Hampshire
I noticed yesterday that my Mum has blotches on her legs. I know it is not necessarily dementia related but has anyone else come across blotches? I will telephone for a GP appointment later but in between anyone any ideas?

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Hi Steffie blotchy legs can often be a sign of poor circulation, you often see it in people who can't move around much,

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
It could be many things, from poor circulation to an allergic reaction, though that will usually be itchy and uncomfortable too.

Poor circulation can simply be related to immobility - our bodies function best when we are moving around, as the leg muscles help to pump blood from there against gravity. If you are sat still the heart has to do all of the work.

Poor circulation can also make someone feel their legs are cold, so they sit close to a fire or put extra clothes on, then the extremities will flush with blood and turn blotchy with red patches.

steffie60

Jan 22, 2013
Hampshire
Mum' GP has prescribed Diprobase saying that Mum had had her skin for a very long time and it needed some cream. Obviously when I massage her legs it will help her circulation and who knows it may even help her very unsteady walk. Unfortunately she was not able to shed any light on Mum's breathlessness or her lack of appetite as Mum's chest x-ray and blood tests came back within parameters. It is at times like this that I wish my sisters were still talking to me so that I could chat over how Mum is and how best to face it all. Oops that sounds like a moan, it is not meant to be life is what it is!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suehart