Blood transfusions

outofmydepth

Feb 28, 2012
Mums been struggling a little lately ,she great in herself but (apart from the odd blood spotting) but her bloods are very low,home rang and are going to suggest she gets blood transfusion as medication is not bringing her bloods up ................(hemeglobin)
they came up slowly on their own before but no show this time ,do dementia patients respond well to transfusion,anyone been through this can give point of view please

please excuse the bad grammar

min88cat

Apr 6, 2010
Hi there!

My MIL has had several blood transfusions. That was the first thing they did when she was admitted tomhospital on 3 occasions as her blood count was so low. She tolerated the transfusions with no problem at all. The worst bit was watching the staff trying to get the needles in!

min88cat

Apr 6, 2010
It definitely worked for her. They thought at first that she was bleeding internally as her count was appalling, but investiagtions didn't reveal anything. The first time she had 3 pints , the second visit 2 pints and the lAst time, just one. I think the problem was poor diet. Now she is in a NH and she seems fine, apart from a chest infection that has lasted 3 weeks that they just cant shift. There's always some medical problem or other with this disease.

outofmydepth

Feb 28, 2012
It definitely worked for her. They thought at first that she was bleeding internally as her count was appalling, but investiagtions didn't reveal anything. The first time she had 3 pints , the second visit 2 pints and the lAst time, just one. I think the problem was poor diet. Now she is in a NH and she seems fine, apart from a chest infection that has lasted 3 weeks that they just cant shift. There's always some medical problem or other with this disease.
That's good to know

they think the same with mum be we're not going the investigation route until we have to ,but she does have a chrohns diet which doesn't help but as I say she tends to bouce back ,maybe she just needs a little help now :)

Thanks again ,that has reassured me

And thank you too Grannie G