Blood Test

angelict

Jan 16, 2020
My Mam was in hospital three weeks ago for a suspected UTi and she had delerium they stopped atibiotucs after a few days. Today she's been at the Doctor's for a blood test we thought it was for her hba1c as on the discharge letter it was asking the surgery to review her meds for diabetes type 2. However prior to the nurse taking two tubes it's actually for liver kidney sodium and their doing a blood count as well. My Mam dud say to her I suppose I don't have a choice but she let her do it. Last Friday we handed in a urine sample as my Mam was getting more confused and we weren't getting any sleep the end of last week. I'm sick with worry about it as their not telling us anything and being very vague plus the doctor asked me if I've heard from the Dementia Team I did put a note into him via the receptionist to elaborate on it but I've heard nothing. My Mam did see the OPMH the beginning of the year but they discharged as she didn't want to start rivastigmine we had to give her Aricept in January but she was all over the place if she hadn't taken them it would of been a Section 2 thats what I was told by SS plus she keeps getting UTIs which don't help plus on the last discharge the doctor was asked to look at referring her to Urology when I asked him last he said no. Don't know what to do now.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Has the doctor told you that metformin can make people anaemic which can affect dementia?

Thinking of you

MaNaAk

angelict

Jan 16, 2020
She isn't on it I was asked why when she was in hospital as her hba1c was 54 before lockdown hence she's on linagliptin at moment the hospital have now started her on aspirin 75mg per the last discharge. The last time my Mam took Metformin was between December and March it was a combined pill plus Gliclazide 80mg.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I see so that's different to dad because he had aspirin, metformin and gliclazide before the latter was changed to algohliptin. I wonder whether it might be an idea to get back to the dementia team.

MaNaAk

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
Low sodium can cause a lot of problems including confusion so that is probably why they're testing for it. Before my Mum actually got Alzheimer's (many years before) she went into hospital with a severe UTI and became very confused due to this. They gave her treatment and thankfully she came back to normal.

I hope this is the reason for your mother being unwell. Also, later on, for some time my mother was on a continuous dose of antibiotics to try and stop the continuous UTIs.

angelict

Jan 16, 2020
They said last time MCI then possible AD tbh her cognitive function is better she scored low last time in January when the CPN saw her hence Aricept was prescribed she's toileting a lot better than she was even though she uses pads now. I'm just worried they put her back in hospital if I don't tell them about the UTIs they don't bother I just hope they don't change her meds again then I have to explain it to her