Blood on boiling point

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
Was told about this today drug addits get £160 every two weeks even in jail. http://www.sundaypost.com/news.htm they even get housing benefits. So why are we stung to pay for care. Its so unfair.
I have now also been told by the Direct Payment team that there is no problem with Direct Payments but they can't up it thats up to the Social Worker so why hasn't it been done? I also phoned the ILF and they say that Direct Payments need to be upped to help. How many others can't get care/help? We are fighting and caring for £96 every two weeks yet £160 every two weeks goes to an addit even when they have been kept in jail. The system again.

Gill W

Jan 31, 2007
Co. Durham
Hi Chip

I've read a lot of posts about Direct Payments, and don't even know what they are?

In responses to Chips questions, can anyone enlighten me as to what this is all about, and what situations people need to be in to qualify for them? Do they apply to the likes of my Gran, who gets state pension, AA etc?

Excuse the ignorance.

Gill
xx

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Hi Chip ..... I confess I had never realised quite how much 'injustice' in 'the system' until my mother was diagnosed with dementia ...... May I ask your permission to copy your post to the 'Politics' thread I started some months back???? It's a hugely valid point?

Doesn't take much to get my blood to boiling point, Chip ...:eek: trying to keep it on the 'simmer' when you're battling with so much is a tough call at times .....

Like Gill, I'm floundering with 'direct payments' .... have some very vague concept .... (only thanks to what people have already posted on TP) .....but it would be really helpful to get a better understanding ......

Much love, Karen, x

Ashburton

Feb 19, 2007
While I think we get better treatment in Ireland, overall I get the feeling that as far as the govt is concerned AD is not a priority.

We had an election recently here and opposition had proposed eliminating the means test for carers, which at least would have given recognition to carers.

Whiskas

Oct 17, 2006
Corby
I am in the process of trying to get direct payments in fact someone is coming to see me about it tomorrow morning. I applied to SS for more help for Mum as because of my depression I have been struggling a bit! ( full time carer for Mum who lives with me ).The original referral went in last September and Care Manager came out in December to assess Mum's needs and told us it was possible to have direct payments. This means SS will give us money to employ a carer for Mum. Mum had a financial assessment and she has to make a small contribution towards her care.
As my original paper work got lost SS supplied a carer for 3 hours 2 mornings a week to give me a break until the direct payments are set up.
When I have direct payments I will be able to employ a carer (my neighbour is actually going to do it) and we can choose when she works so it wont be restricted to just Tuesday and Thursday mornings. It also means that Mum gets the same carer all the time which helps.
I'll tell you more about it after tomorrow. Apparantly it doesn't normally take 9 months to set up but you need a care manager who doesn't loose things!!
Cathyxx

Gill W

Jan 31, 2007
Co. Durham
Okay.

So having just sat and read a document Margarita pointed me to, I think SS can provide funds for care they cannot provide themselves. I get it now.

Something else to mention to mam, for in the meantime, whilst we wait for SS to get their goddamned fingers out of a certain place and do something constructive!

Thanks for the info

Gill
xx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
I think the idea of direct payments is to give the person more choice.

For example, I get 4 hours of Crossroads a week, funded by SS. If I applied for direct payments, I would receive the money to pay for those our hours, or whatever I had been assessed for, and I could then choose who I wanted to employ. This could be a friend or relative, but not I think someone living in the same house.

The point is, with Crossroads I have to specify when I want my time each week, and if I want to change it, it's only possible if they have someone available. With DP, I could be much more flexible.

It's not too important for four hours a week, not worth the hassle of DP, but is at some time in the future I need considerably more help, then flexibility might become an issue.

There's a document about DP here:

http://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh...@dh/@en/documents/digitalasset/dh_4069262.pdf

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Yes , but what happen half of it did not show up , could be because I have eMac computer , but normal I have had no problem with it .

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
I got through the first few pages and needed to go into a dark room!!!:eek:

Just wanted to echo, that yes it is flipping unfair.

Love

Cate xxxxx

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
I have been wondering how do they acess how much care/ help is needed? How do we check they have done it right? Is there guidlines for this or is it just left up to Social Services to decide? Who checks there decision is right? Does anyone have a copy of how its worked out? I have no idea how its worked out all i know is it wasn't and i don't seem to be able to get another assesment done. Even though i need a lot more help with him. Every carer should have Social Services guidelines to getting help whats available and how to get it. How assesments are worked out as well. Does anyone have this? Social Services can do anything if they don't do this. I had to contact the Scottish Exec to get the Direct Payment guidelines and it was then i found out how much has not been done right.