Blogs

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
A couple of times recently when viewing 'Who's online', I've noticed a guest 'Sending blog entry to friend'.

Two questions:

1. How do you do this? I've looked, and can't find a way.

2. Should non-members (or even members) be able to send such personal reports to all and sundry?

I apprecate that nothing is private, and that posts turn up on Google, but that seems to me to be a bit intrusive.

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi Hazel,

Just went to have a play as I've never done this - was not logged in, so only had Guest privileges.

The icon to send the link to the blog entry an envelope on the lower right :

send_blog1.jpg

That produces a window like this:

send_blog2.jpg

and this is what arrived in my Inbox when I emailed the blog entry to myself:

send_blog3.jpg

The title of the message is the title of the blog entry.

Note the message: "Talking Point takes no responsibility for messages sent through its system."

I have to say that this looks like all standard blog stuff to me (even the BBC has a option to email a news story to a friend).

The level of privacy desired is down to the person creating the blog. They can restrict it to only their Friends/Contacts, or include TP members, or include Guests to read and post replies.

So I guess I don't really see an issue here myself - but am happy to hear others' opinions.

Thanks,

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
The icon to send the link to the blog entry an envelope on the lower right :

Isn't that weird? The envelope doesn't appear when you're logged in, so only 'guests' can send! I was logged in when I tried before.

I too will be interested in comments -- at least people should be aware that this is happening.

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Isn't that weird? The envelope doesn't appear when you're logged in, so only 'guests' can send! I was logged in when I tried before.

I think you should be able to see the envelope whether you're logged in or a Guest. I tried as a Guest because Guests usually have less privileges than logged in members - so I wanted to see what the minimum level was.

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
How very odd :confused:

You see, I tried as me, with moderator powers and I could see the envelope icon:

blog_icons_moderator.jpg

And as a guest I could see it also:

blog_icons_guest.jpg

But as a normal user, I could not see it at all! :

blog_icons_normal_user.jpg

So I'm stumped Hazel :eek: Whether by accident or design, ordinary members can't forward a blog to an email address.

Maybe Katherine or Said can shed some light, I'll PM them a link to this thread.

Thanks,

Sandy