blogs - Akismet

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
I think it is a plug in that WordPress use to limit or stop spam? Not sure. :confused:

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
Not sure. Perhaps someone who has more computer knowledge will post soon.

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Yes, Lemony is correct - it's a device to stop spammers from adding comments to blogs.

Since on TP only members can post comments (and only if the blog owner allows it) we don't really have this problem, so such a key is not needed.

BTW, the mods can find themselves banning half-a-dozen spammers a day, so they do try and use TP for their selfish purposes.

So if you ever do see a post from a new member that seems very strange (like someone has cut and pasted some text from Wikipedia) and has any links in it, please report it to the mods using the Report this post button (exclamation mark in the red triangle).

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Someone may correct me but if a blog is private - that is, limited to contacts - then this is probably not required. I didn't know about it anyway......

Even though the TP blog control panel gives the option to allow Guests (non-members) to view and post comments to blogs:

Guests may...
  • View your blog
  • Leave comments on your blog entries
Unregistered visitors may not be able to do all the things you specify here, depending on the permissions granted by the administrator.

As that last sentence implies, things may be different depending on the site set-up.

I've just tested this and even though as the blog owner I said "Yes" to guests viewing and commenting - when I logged out and viewed my blog as a guest, I could see the blog but I couldn't leave a comment.

So TP will automatically prevent non-members from putting comments on blogs.

CaPattinson

May 19, 2010
West Yorks
blogs

I've juse typed a 'private' blog but when I went to blogs (Not my blogs) my blog was showing at the top with others underneath. Don't understand. Why could I see both mine and a few others? Sorry to be a nuisance Chris

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Don't worry about the questions - it's a good way for other people to learn about blogs and how they might help them.

Have you actually created an entry in your blog? Make sure it's not a draft entry, which won't show up for anyone but you.

Mods can see all blogs and I can't see anything for you. BTW, this is clearly stated on the settings page:

Permissions and Privacy - Regardless of these settings, blog moderators will be able to view your posted entries.

One way to see what's going on, is to log out of TP (Log Out - far right of green navigation bar) and then view TP as a guest and see what you can see.

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
One way to see what's going on, is to log out of TP (Log Out - far right of green navigation bar) and then view TP as a guest and see what you can see.

But only if you can remember your password!:D

CaPattinson

May 19, 2010
West Yorks
Draft!!!!

Aw thats how I got it to stay there? Couldn't see how to post it properly then Help! How do I do it now?? :eek::eek: XChris problems problems problems!

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
OK this will have to be a quick one as I have to be out the door soon.

If you go to your blog and look at the options you should be able to see if you have drafts pending. Click on Post to your blog to be able to turn the draft into a post:

draft_blog1.jpg

You will then be presented with a screen that lists all your drafts and also a brand new window to make a new post from scratch.

Tick the draft that you want to publish and click on the Go to Draft button.

draft_blog2.jpg

The draft will appear and you can make any changes you want, but then you need to scroll all the way down to the bottom and under Publish status choose Publish Now.

You can then Preview and when you are ready to publish hit Save Changes.

draft_blog3.jpg

PostTenebrasLux

Mar 16, 2010
London & Oxford
Dear Chris,

I guess that I am one of the people in particular who annoy you. To test if your privacy settings for your blog work, I clicked on the link and got the following message, which I believe achieves what you were hoping for: - so now you don't need to worry about me.

"Message
PostTenebrasLux, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation."

Martina