Blister pack tablet melt in mouth query

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
Hi all quick question dads meds previously in blister packs which was all done via chemist all i had to do was pick them up never knew i had it so good ,but a few weeks ago me and dr had to come to decision to replace it with melt in mouth tablets/water tablets which led to chemist no longer providing the blister pack services when i asked why as tablets still solid but they saying they cant as they melt in the mouth not allowed to does anyone know if chemist should do it or what happens if dad needs care home carer as most care assistents ive had in the flat wont give tabs unless in blister packs .ive now purchased a box which i used a few yrs back but takes ages to fill it
Now dads declined further last wk to not swallowing

silkiest

Feb 9, 2017
Hi @deepetshopboy my MIL had soluble tablets that could not go in the blister packs because if they got any moisture in them they would start to dissolve and therefore make it impossible to get a full dose. If a tablets chemical makeup is changed by moisture it also may affect other medication in the pack and solutions tend not to remain stable as long as tablets.

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
Hi @deepetshopboy my MIL had soluble tablets that could not go in the blister packs because if they got any moisture in them they would start to dissolve and therefore make it impossible to get a full dose. If a tablets chemical makeup is changed by moisture it also may affect other medication in the pack and solutions tend not to remain stable as long as tablets.
Right ok thanks @silkiest

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
Hi @deepetshopboy you also asked about care home carers giving meds which are not in a blister pack....it's ok they have a medicine chart that they tick against when giving residents their medication so as long as it's all listed it will be given. When mum was in her care home she had a lot of trouble swallowing tablets as she used to chew them & hold them in her mouth even when taken with water they somehow stayed in her mouth so she was changed to soluble meds where possible.
With care at home you are right about home carers not giving meds unless in blister packs. Again this was a problem when additional meds were needed temporarily like antibiotics. We had to get the care agency manager to update mums med sheet with instructions to the carers every time something changed. They also have to tick against each item given.