bland diet

taylorcat

Jun 18, 2006
W.Scotland
Not too sure if this is the right board for this question but could you give me some ideas for a "bland diet". Mum has to eat a bland diet now due to the diarrhoea in the past. Dad gave her Cauliflower with cheese sauce last night for tea and she was up all night again with diarrhoea.

Thanks

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hi Taylorcat, Hasn`t your mother been referred to a dietician?

I should imagine a `bland diet would be mikly, eggy food, with not too much fibre. The cheese might have been Ok, but the cauliflower would have given her the roughage she may not need.

Also perhaps white toast, rather than wholemeal, and the food that tends to make the rest of us constipated.

On the other hand, `bland` could mean tasteless, so perhaps she should avoid too much flavourings and spices.

If you have doubts, as I am doubting myself as I write this, I`d definitely ask for advice.

Will you post with an update, please, I`d be interested to know.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Grannie G said:
I should imagine a `bland diet would be mikly, eggy food, with not too much fibre. The cheese might have been Ok, but the cauliflower would have given her the roughage she may not need.

Sylvia, sorry to disagree, but dairy products are usually bad if there is a colon problem

You're right about spices, they re not good. But the worst of all, for me (and others may differ) are onions and garlic!

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi again. I've just followed Áine's link, and it recommends dairy, but that's for gastric problems. I guess it depends whether the GP thinks the problem is gastric or colonic.

Sorry if I misled you.:eek:

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Bland? - I would go for things like rice, chicken, white fish, mashed potatoes - I know that with young children after a stomach upset you are advised to go easy on dairy products.
Love Helen

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
What about the BRAT diet? Bananas, rice, applesauce and toast (dry). That's what I was always told to give the children when they had tummy upsets.

Jennifer

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
Once I had a landlady who could only eat "white food", she believed it was the colour of the food that made the difference.