1. taylorcat

taylorcat Registered User

Jun 18, 2006
    W.Scotland
    Not too sure if this is the right board for this question but could you give me some ideas for a "bland diet". Mum has to eat a bland diet now due to the diarrhoea in the past. Dad gave her Cauliflower with cheese sauce last night for tea and she was up all night again with diarrhoea.

Thanks

2. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    Hi Taylorcat, Hasn`t your mother been referred to a dietician?

I should imagine a `bland diet would be mikly, eggy food, with not too much fibre. The cheese might have been Ok, but the cauliflower would have given her the roughage she may not need.

Also perhaps white toast, rather than wholemeal, and the food that tends to make the rest of us constipated.

On the other hand, `bland` could mean tasteless, so perhaps she should avoid too much flavourings and spices.

If you have doubts, as I am doubting myself as I write this, I`d definitely ask for advice.

Will you post with an update, please, I`d be interested to know.

3. Áine

Áine Registered User

4. Skye

Skye Registered User

Aug 29, 2006
    SW Scotland
    Sylvia, sorry to disagree, but dairy products are usually bad if there is a colon problem

You're right about spices, they re not good. But the worst of all, for me (and others may differ) are onions and garlic!

5. Skye

Skye Registered User

Aug 29, 2006
    SW Scotland
    Hi again. I've just followed Áine's link, and it recommends dairy, but that's for gastric problems. I guess it depends whether the GP thinks the problem is gastric or colonic.

Sorry if I misled you.:eek:

6. Amy

Amy Registered User

Jan 4, 2006
    Bland? - I would go for things like rice, chicken, white fish, mashed potatoes - I know that with young children after a stomach upset you are advised to go easy on dairy products.
    Love Helen

7. jenniferpa

jenniferpa Volunteer Moderator

Jun 27, 2006
    What about the BRAT diet? Bananas, rice, applesauce and toast (dry). That's what I was always told to give the children when they had tummy upsets.

Jennifer

8. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    So much advice, all different. This is why the best advice would be from a dietician.

9. Lila13

Lila13 Registered User

Feb 24, 2006
    Once I had a landlady who could only eat "white food", she believed it was the colour of the food that made the difference.