Black holes and blue carpets

jools

Jun 29, 2004
hi everyone,

Was talking to someone today who is a carer and she was telling me that one of the reasons that people with dementia don't want to go to the toilet, is that if the toilet has a black seat, they think it's a hole and that they'll fall down it. She also said that blue carpets can cause a similar problem; they think that it's water and that they'll sink into it. Thought this might be of use to someone.

Jools

PS I remember being very nervous going to the loo for several days after watching 'Jaws' cos I was afraid that something might come up the pan and bite me! What will I be like when I'm doting......

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
That's a good point. When your world becomes a great unknown, even the most everyday things must become so, so frightening.

I'd never thought of that. Even after so long.

By the way, if you ever saw the cult film "Shivers", then you'd also not go in a bath again...... Add to that "Psycho" with the shower.....

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Jools,

I was reading somewhere about colours recently and was interested to know that black stripes painted in front of doorways and steps tends to deter AD sufferers from going out as they perceive a 'hole' as you mention.

I saw Jaws in Perth and the next day went to Rottnest Island. I couldn't bring myself to set foot in the ocean...!

Jude

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Hi All,

I too have been very surprised at the effects colours have on Alzheimer's, I first came across it in the book that jude kindly sent me a few weeks back. If you start hunting around google you will also come up with some interesting facts and research on colours - you may want to condsider using something other than white plates for example. But it's clear that colours effect different people in different ways like many of the complex senses................

http://www.agelessdesign.com/ate-calmingcolrs.htm

"Certain colors will also appear safe, others unsafe. A black floor, for example, may appear to be a gaping hole and certainly worth avoiding. On the other hand, it may be the answer to one of your questions - what color to use to prevent someone from entering or leaving a room?"

http://my.webmd.com/content/article/94/102932.htm?action=related_link

"Dunne and colleagues studied nine elderly men with advanced Alzheimer's disease. The men were on average 83 years old and scored 3 out of 30 on mental status exams.

The researchers measured how much each participant ate daily. Then the men were served meals on white plates, white cups, and stainless-steel silverware for 10 days. Next, they used bright red tableware and cutlery for 10 days.

The men ate about 24% more food and drank almost 84% more liquid with the red tableware compared with the white tableware."

Kindest Regards
Craig

Anne54

Sep 16, 2004
Nottingham
Hello

On the same subject my husband sees our wood effect flooring as a series of hills and dips so he walks really funny. Its supposed to be parquet, I had to get rid of the carpet.

Anne

City Claire

Nov 1, 2004
Oxford
This is really interesting stuff - I'm at least going to try the red tableware stuff for Dad as he isn't eating very much at present.

Thanks!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarah R