Biting

nannylondon

Apr 7, 2014
London
Hi I wonder if anyone can help.with this problem my OH who is in a care home has started biting his fingers he is on antibiotics because they have got infected carers have tried putting dressings on and cotton gloves but he takes them off again has anyone got any experience of this or any suggestions on how to stop.it thanks xx

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
If you put on a nice smelling cream will the 'taste' put him off? Will a hand massage help?
I know this is a daft question but is he occupied enough, sometimes boredom results in self stimulation which takes all sorts of forms - it might be that a feelie bag would help him keep his hands occupied or even a piece of material with buttons on to do and undo - or an old cardigan with buttons on or would he do some colouring. Just any activities that will occupy his hands may stop him biting them.

nannylondon

Apr 7, 2014
London
Thanks for the ideas he has a couple of twiddle muff but will try tying mitts on isn't able to do colouring he can't hold anything just drops them all the time I know he has been unable to join in activities has very little movement now

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Nannylondon, sorry to read that your husband has started this new habit. It sounds as though he needs a lot of distraction, which he's possibly not getting. I wonder if the paint on bitter liquid you can get to try and stop fingernail biting might work. The trouble is once a certain habit is adopted it's hard to stop, Bernard constantly tugs and pulls at the folds in his trousers around the crotch area, when he's sitting down, I can't stop him doing it. xxx

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
This sounds so distressing for you Nannylondon, anything i could have thought of has been suggested. I hope one of them works for him.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I'm wondering if this is a stress reaction, in the same way as people bite their nails, cuticles or chew their hair. Have to ask the GP about any options?

In a Whirl

Feb 23, 2015
I use to suck my thumb until I got to about 8 I think. It gave me reassurance & a feeling of safety. I wonder whether you could find something else for him to put in his mouth or suck. Might be worth a go!

nannylondon

Apr 7, 2014
London
Thanks for all the suggestions I will them I did wonder if it was pain or stress as the poor man can no longer communicate how he is feeling xx

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
Hi nanny, how about a pair of gardening gloves with velcro wrists (the type where the velcro doubles back) he would still be able to feel whilst wearing them.

nannylondon

Apr 7, 2014
London
Hi nanny, how about a pair of gardening gloves with velcro wrists (the type where the velcro doubles back) he would still be able to feel whilst wearing them.

Thanks reedysue that is a really good idea I will buy some tomorrow and take them to care home xxxx

Bestgirl

Oct 31, 2015
London, Ontario
just coping

My OH started biting his nails so bad they bleed. Also when we are out he has to bang on any flat surface we pass. My doctor said the nail biting was stress related. I tried the bitter alloe but it didn't work. I hope the mitts work for you I don't think there is much you can do until another symptom develops as things seem to change all the time. QUOTE=nannylondon;1181341]Hi I wonder if anyone can help.with this problem my OH who is in a care home has started biting his fingers he is on antibiotics because they have got infected carers have tried putting dressings on and cotton gloves but he takes them off again has anyone got any experience of this or any suggestions on how to stop.it thanks xx[/QUOTE]

BR_ANA

Jun 27, 2012
Brazil
My mother used to grin her teeth. Very noisily. Then she had lot of pain in her mandible join.

Neurologist put Botox on her jaw muscle. She kept grinning but without pain.

She had it every 6 months. It was done 3 times. It is more than 1,5 year of last one.