Bit of advice needed

70NY

Apr 10, 2020
Hi, new to this forum, and asking for some advice please...

My dad has alzheimer's and is struggling badly with the current social distancing situation. My mam is looking after him however she is in the vulnerable category and shielded for 12weeks so can't get out. Trying to keep him occupied on a night is proving extremely difficult for her and he is at the stage where he keeps trying to leave the house. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @70NY
a warm welcome to DTP
such a worry for your mum
maybe contact your dad's GP and let them know the situation, there may be meds to help him settle

it sounds as though he may be sundowning, which is an increase in confusion and agitation as evening sets in, being exhausted by keeping things together during the day ... it's often presented as wanting to go out or go home, which is really to find some way to feel better rather than going to a real place

maybe your mum could try closing curtains a bit earlier, keeping lighting low, playing some soothing music your dad enjoys, watching only quiet, neutral TV (no news), spraying lavender, having a warm milk drink

I'm afraid people wanting to walk out is one of the main concerns at the moment ... it's hard to keep an adult in when they want to leave ... can your mum try to agree they will go out tomorrow when it's not getting dark or any excuse (he will probably have forgotten by then), then distract your dad with a cuppa and a treat, anything he enjoys ... can anyone walk with him during the day?

in case he does go out, you might look into some form of tracker, and maybe a card in his pocket with a contact number

sorry not to have answers as such