Birds nesting.

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Mum is due home from respite tomorrow, and I have noticed we have some starlings nesting in our loft and they are above mums bedroom, I can't move the nest or anything as they are protected by law! I just hope they fledge soon, they are active as they are moving about quite a bit.
I can't move mum anywhere else as she 'knows' the layout of her bedroom, as soon as things go quiet i'll get pest control up to remove the nest and block off any holes there may be. I just hope they don't have anymore eggs in the nest ready for when this lot go!

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
We had this trouble in our blocked of chimney, the noise was awful for 3 years running then I asked the council to block off the holes last year when they had finished with the nests and we have had no further trouble,

we had squirrels as well and they have moved to another home,

Jeany

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
I'm glad we have central heating so the chimney is blocked off, but I have no idea how the hell they got into the loft, there are no hatches or windows. I did ask the council about it (even though its our own house) it seems they will do nothing as its not something they do. I just hope they are gone in a few days, as mum will wake in the morning with them scuffling about. I did call the RSPB they said once its quiet to wait a week then go up, sorry but day 2 of it being quiet and pest control are going up, I would go up but there are 8 legged creatures up there (spiders) so I won't!

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
There were just tiny holes in the eaves that they got through into the chimney, it is built into the side of the bungalow

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
We are an end house, when I put some stuff out into the recycling bins I tried to see if I could see anything you know where they were getting in, but couldn't, I couldn't even see a hole.

KingB

May 8, 2011
Berkshire
Fair enough they are protected by law - but pragmatically maybe that law is worth breaking in this case? Would anyone ever know? And its not as if there would be no dangers in nature anyway - pretend to be a mongoose?
(disclaimer - I may be 1.5 bottles of wine worth of bad right now, but it makes sense to me)

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
That thought had crossed my mind of getting someone to go up and remove them and plug whatever hole they came in through, but then the population of starlings is falling so I should wait for them to fledge. The only thing that worries me is how mum will be during when the birds move in the morning and start that dam chirping, and as for them sleeping at night they don't half move about, I just hope they are really close to fledging.
How are you feeling this morning KingB, wine finished?

KingB

May 8, 2011
Berkshire
I did indeed finish the second bottle. Regretted it a little in the morning - but considering the proverbial hair of the dog this evening...
Maybe your mum will like the starlings?

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Without the Alzheimer's I am sure mum wouldn't have a problem with them, but the fact its strange noises at night might just scare the living daylights out of her! I found a pest control company in the next town who can remove seagull nests (might be able to do starlings) under license so i'm going to give them a call in the morning and see what they suggest.
Mum is home from respite and I did mention to her we had starlings in the loft she asked if they could get into the house, I said no, but it might be a bit noisy at night for a few nights, so we shall see how things go tonight.

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
I reminded mum last night before she went to bed about the birds, they were quite vocal this morning and moving a bit last night but they didn't seem to phase mum, I know its only been 1 night just hoping she'll be like that every night until I can get the nest moved once they fledge.