Big Yuck!

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
It would be nice if someone could say for certain a person does this because, rather than having to ask complete strangers who have a common link (Alzheimer's) if their loved one happens to be doing the same as you are wondering if its part of the condition or something completely new. The Duty Dr kept saying 'oh good' when I mentioned mum was taking Laxido, so I suppose she is on the right stuff, she used to be on Lactulose but could never drink it in time before it solidified!
I think the sales in Dettol wipes have gone up recently, since I have been buying them to clean up the mess.

sleith

Sep 7, 2011
Manchester
Poo again Fybogel

I know its not the sort of thing I thought I would be discussing, let a lone with people I have never met, but when someone else started mentioning poo I thought I would bring the subject up.
Mum is on Laxido it is supposed to 'help' poo come out easier, and we eat a high fibre diet so it should be flowing (sorry for the picture that forms) more easier than what it is!
As for a district nurse, mum doesn't see any of them, i buy Tena Lady day/ night time pads or Tesco's own incontinence pads which work well (for now).

Hello Carabosse

My doctor recommends Fybogel high fibre sachets (orange or Lemon) to push the motion along.also Laculose to soften they work well together.
Good Luck it must be horrendous.
sleith

Last edited:

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Mum used to be on both of those, but she couldn't drink them quickly before they solidified, now mum is on Laxido which she seems to be able to drink without a problem (so far). The bleeding has also stopped for the moment, then again mum hasn't been to the toilet to defecate yet.

Misprint

Sep 13, 2012
We had the assessment this week for CHC for my sister. When it came to continence the team said no problems. My sister has been in hospital for 9 weeks and I visit every day. When I am there I always take her to the loo rather than getting a nurse and several times she has tried to 'help it out'. I know if i was not with her this is what would have happened. When I brought this up as I felt it was a need I was told this is quite normal, not necessarily nice but normal for patients with dementia and something that we should unfortunately expect and that the medical staff are quite used to this behaviour.

Not sure this is comforting news especially when loved ones live alone. My only advice is to always accompany to the loo but I know that is easy for me to say because my sister has seemed to accept this. I am sure this is not always the case

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Mum is ok with me being with her when she goes to the toilet, although I don't go with her everytime as she is on water tablets as well as a heap of other tablets so you can guess the frequency at which she goes to the toilet until mid afternoon when their effects seem to have worn off, mum has asked me to look or see if there is anything there, so doing that isn't a problem.

treecol

Mar 22, 2013
I think the sales in Dettol wipes have gone up recently, since I have been buying them to clean up the mess.

I stock pile them & as many nice smelling cleaning products I can. It's such a shame for the sufferers because keeping one's dignity is difficult with AD. It's also a shame for us because it's as though our lives revolve round poo! Dad seems to time his loo visits around meal times blurgh!

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
I have a stock pile of the spray's for the bathroom to hide the smell of what's just happened, I sometimes have to give a quick squirt before I can get into the bathroom but usually I make a joke of it which goes down well.
I also have those things with the wooden sticks that you put in and the liquid permeates the wood and lets the smell out into the room, at the moment its mulled wine and cracking fire as I love Christmas and like to keep the smell in the house for as long as possible.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karen.geddes@thethinblack