Big Decision Day Tomorrow re: NICE?

Dearth

May 27, 2005
Wigan
www.freewebs.com
Someone at work said it was today... I checked the news, but found nothing - and I went through the internet and got this:

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain's cost-effectiveness healthcare watchdog NICE says it will rule on Monday whether Alzheimer's drugs that can help, but not cure, some patients should continue to be used within the state health service.

(date: Friday 20th Jan. 2006)

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/new..._0_HEALTH-UK-ALZHEIMERS-DC.XML&archived=False

So I'll be watching the news tomorrow as well as scouring the internet for information.

Let's hope the decision made will be the one we've all been wanting and campaigning for!

Fingers crossed.

:)

Neil.

cynron

Sep 26, 2005
east sussex
Sunday Express

In todays Sunday Express Britt Eckland who's mother suffered from A D ,is supporting the fight to keep drugs for sufferers. I found it an interesting read.

Cynron

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Thanks Neil for alerting us to the date. Sometimes miss these things when it's all haywire on the home front. Glad someone is on the ball for us. Connie :)

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
I heard something similar on the news today and the Observer has a similar report:

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,1692309,00.html

If you believe the leaked reports, it sounds a bit like a partial victory. NICE may be recommending the use of some drugs for people in the early to mid stages of AD, but perhaps not for the later stages. If this is the case, it will be crucial to see if they suggest Ebixa, also known as memantine, for mid to severe dementia.

Another article in the Observer tackles this issue from a more personal point of view, but also has lots of useful background information:

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/focus/story/0,,1692163,00.html

Take care,

Sandy

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
From AOL news service this morning:

"Ban lifted on dementia drugs" - but only for those who have already sunk as far as developing 'Moderate Symptoms'

Key drugs for people with moderate dementia will continue to be available on the NHS under revised plans unveiled by the treatment watchdog.

The National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) provoked uproar in March last year when it published draft guidance which stated that drug treatments for Alzheimer's were not cost-effective enough to be available on the NHS.

The announcement reveals its Appraisal Committee is now recommending three drugs should be "considered as options in the treatment of people with Alzheimer's disease of moderate severity only".

The news prompted a mixed reaction from drug companies and Alzheimer's support groups, the latter expressing relief at the withdrawal of the "blanket ban", but with concerns it could see treatments denied to people in the early and late stages of dementia.

Andrew Dillon, NICE Chief Executive and Executive Lead for the appraisal, said: "We are acutely aware of our responsibility to help people with Alzheimer's disease secure access to effective treatment. We needed to make the right decision, based on all the relevant evidence.

"By going the extra mile and asking the drug companies to delve deeper into their clinical trial data, we have been able to identify the right way to use these medicines.

"People with Alzheimer's will now receive these drugs when they can help them most.

"Patients and those who care for them will be able to feel more confident about gaining benefit from them and the NHS will know that it is using its funds to best effect."

Last year's draft guidance was widely condemned and NICE received an unprecedented response from doctors and campaigners calling for a rethink of its conclusions.

In the draft, NICE accepted that donepezil, rivastigmine, galantamine and memantine - known as cholinesterase inhibitors - were effective in alleviating the symptoms of Alzheimer's, but were not cost-effective for NHS use.

Comments, including mine, will follow, I'm sure.