Best interests meeting today

abijac

Jul 12, 2014
I live a long way from dad who is in an enhanced dementia unit and have just been informed a best interests meeting is going ahead today. Basically Dad was moved to the enhanced unit before xmas after not settling in another care home. He was only going temporarily as Mum went into hospital but she has now gone into another care home for medical reasons.
The unit are now saying he doesn't meet the enhanced needs ie aggression etc so they want him moved to a residential setting. I am concerned as he is very frail and fragile and has gone downhill since going into care. The ideal situation would be for him to go to mums home but as we were not given the opportunity to talk to her about this when the social worker asked her she has rejected the idea of him being there.
I'm now feeling very concerned that we will be back to how we were at the first home where he doesn't settle and they have less staff to deal with him. I have days where I feel so guilty and think I should have him here but apart from the fact I work and he would need someone watching him 24hrs when I see him he is such a poor way I don't know he would even be aware of who we were and would be just as unhappy. Just the awful guilt of being so far away and not being able to help him. His quality of life seems non existent.

joggyb

Dec 1, 2014
I live a long way from dad who is in an enhanced dementia unit and have just been informed a best interests meeting is going ahead today. Basically Dad was moved to the enhanced unit before xmas after not settling in another care home. He was only going temporarily as Mum went into hospital but she has now gone into another care home for medical reasons.
The unit are now saying he doesn't meet the enhanced needs ie aggression etc so they want him moved to a residential setting. I am concerned as he is very frail and fragile and has gone downhill since going into care. The ideal situation would be for him to go to mums home but as we were not given the opportunity to talk to her about this when the social worker asked her she has rejected the idea of him being there.
I'm now feeling very concerned that we will be back to how we were at the first home where he doesn't settle and they have less staff to deal with him. I have days where I feel so guilty and think I should have him here but apart from the fact I work and he would need someone watching him 24hrs when I see him he is such a poor way I don't know he would even be aware of who we were and would be just as unhappy. Just the awful guilt of being so far away and not being able to help him. His quality of life seems non existent.

It sounds from what you say as though the guidance for a best interests meeting has been ignored. You should complain formally and ask for a properly scheduled meeting to take place, either with you in attendance/on the phone or with your written concerns taken into account.

Guidelines here: http://www.devon.gov.uk/best-interests-meeting-guidance.pdf (applies to all best interests meetings, not just in Devon)