Best Interest Meeting before discharge

Redlib

Sep 19, 2016
My Mum has Frontotemporal Dementia and got admitted to hospital just after Xmas after she deteriorated rapidly after an UTI, chest infection and severe constipation. Over the last few years she has been suffering from anxiety which had been getting significantly worse but then spiralled out of control whilst she was unwell leading to extreme distress and agitation. The hospital has dealt with the infections and they are now trying to balance her meds to manage her agitation and anxiety. We will have a Best Interests meeting early next week with the discharge options being moving her to a psychiatric ward, live-in care at home or some kind of dementia care home that can deal with her high anxiety and agitation. How can I best prepare for this meeting in terms of knowing the best options for Mum and understanding the financial implications of decisions we will be asked to make? What questions should we ask? What are the legal implications if Mum gets moved to a psychiatric ward? What should I make sure we get out of the meeting? Advice please!

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
How can I best prepare for this meeting in terms of knowing the best options for Mum and understanding the financial implications of decisions we will be asked to make? What questions should we ask? What are the legal implications if Mum gets moved to a psychiatric ward? What should I make sure we get out of the meeting? Advice please!
The financial implications depends on your Mum's savings, whether she owns a house and who lives there. Have a read of these........
https://www.ageuk.org.uk/Documents/..._permanent_residential_care_fcs.pdf?dtrk=true
https://www.ageuk.org.uk/Documents/..._home_if_you_have_a_partner_fcs.pdf?dtrk=true
https://www.ageuk.org.uk/Documents/...or_care_and_support_at_home_fcs.pdf?dtrk=true

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Redlib
I think I'd sit down an write out a few lists eg all questions you have, all concerns you have, what you have noticed about your mum's behaviour, the options you consider are available and the pros/cons for each - then maybe highlight the key issues for you, so that you make sure to raise those
and be prepared to ask questions about anything that is said that is unclear to you - I often say back to the person what I think has been said so that they can hear how I'm understanding what they've said and agree or explain further
I'm good at forgetting details when I'm nervous, so I get as prepared as I can and have notes with me, plus a different coloured pen and a pad to write notes of what is said, and annotate my lists (the different colour means I can see what I added at the meeting)
sorry to only give a general answer, I have no experience of your situation
I hope overall that what you get out of the meeting is reassurance that all have your mum's best interests to the fore and all decisions have been made on that basis
be sure to ask for a written report of the meeting and decisions made (that should happen anyway)