Best Interest Form???

dunnicam

Jul 22, 2013
Hi
My mum has recently gone to live in a residential home, which is being paid from her own funds as she has more money in her name than the threshold, which is about £20, 000, is that correct? However, the social worker involved has been trying to get the family to sign a 'Best Interest Form', saying its a safeguard for the home, mum and us to give the home the right to keep mum if she decided she didnt want to stay. Since she went in there she has been really well, she seems less agitated as we, rightly or wrongly, think because she doesnt have things to worry her as there were at home and she remembers me and my siblings much better, her medication has also been slightly increased too. I'm rambling, she doesn't show any signs of being unhappy there and we were slightly suspicious as to social workers reasons for wanting the form signing, as she wouldnt let us bring a copy away to look at. Would we be signing away any more of mums rights other than to leave the home if we signed this form??
Thanks in advance
Anne-Marie

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"...we were slightly suspicious as to social workers reasons for wanting the form signing, as she wouldnt let us bring a copy away to look at. Would we be signing away any more of mums rights other than to leave the home if we signed this form??..."

It's unreasonable to expect you to sign this type of document without studying just what you are signing.

I would not sign until I had had the chance to peruse and think about the document at leisure.

If you unclear about the full effects of anything you are asked to sign you could contact http://www.mind.org.uk/

EDIT

If you Google

best interest form <name of town/LA> you may find the form

eg for Manchester

Last edited:

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
I would want them to explain exactly what signing the best interest form results will be. In essence what rights would be taken away from your mother?

I know that best interest meetings should also involve relatives, or at least have some relative's input if possible.

Best interest meetings are usually called regarding medication issues such as the resident refusing to take essential medication such as insulin products for diabetes. Not taking the medicine would result in a life threatening situation. A best interest meeting in such a situation would allow the carers to give medication covertly - ie., in food or drinks.

I wonder if you are referring to a DOL's application in your post rather than a best interest meeting as you mention it has been applied for in relation to keeping mum in the home against her wishes?

A DOL's application is made when a resident wants to leave a care home. It is illegal to detain anyone against their wishes unless a DOL's has been made. This part of the Mental Health Act came into force because a young man had been detained in a mental hospital against his will for many years and no reviews of his situation had been made.

If as you say mum has settled well and you have no information that she feels she is being kept against her wishes and she is taking medication well, it is difficult to understand the reasons for the application being made.

xxTinaT

Last edited:

dunnicam

Jul 22, 2013
Thanks for your contributions,
nitram - Ill check that out and see if I can find it online.

Tina - that was our thoughts exactly, if she is quite calm, then nothing needs signing at the moment. Also, first meeting with social worker, she almost insisted we should all be there to sign the form, there are 7 of us, then at a later meeting she wanted to call, said one person could sign on behalf of everyone???