best care home

RMNSW

Jan 8, 2008
NORTH EAST
Advice On Right Care Home

Hello
I am a nurse in mental healtha and I would appreciate any help someone could give me.
I work with a gentleman who is 51 years and has been diagnosed with early onset dementia (alzheimers).
The team are pushing for him to go into a care home with people at later stages than him and of 30-40 years older.
This gentleman has some capacity and able to do some tasks still. He communicates with staff, however, is unable to write, his hygiene is poor, however care dress himeself.
Going back home with a care package is not appropriate for him but I would like to find the right place for him with people of similar stages and ages to him.
He has 1 carer who visits every other day but she cannot offer support in his own home.
I need to find someone more appropriate in the North East, preferably Newcastle Upon Tyne area.
NHS or private...........can anyone help?
Any comments would help me to start with...
Regards
Sharon:D

Moderator note. If anyone has any suggestions please use the PM system to inform Sharon. We have a policy that care homes should not be named on the board.

Last edited by a moderator:

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Hello Sharon,
Finding appropriate places for the under 65's is very hard. My own husband was diagnoised in his 50's. There is a book you can get from the Local Authorities with all Care Homes in the area. I spend over 3 hours going through the Directory but did find a beautiful C.H. who took under 65's. and my husband is in the E.M.I. Unit.
Does this gentleman have any family ?
I wish you all the best in your search.
Christine

Westie

May 14, 2007
South East London/Surrey border
Hello Sharon,

I am currently trying to find a home for my husband who is 53 and it is very difficult. I have spent hours and hours on the internet, on the phone and in person and haven't located a suitable one yet.

There aren't any local homes which specifically cater for younger people and I'm facing the prospect of placing Peter with people who are far sicker than he is and who are at least 20 years older.

I wish you the best of luck with your search and hope that your area has some good options for you. Your local authority and/or social worker should be able to provide you with a list of homes which is at least a starting point.

It's a heartbreaking job to do when someone is so young.

Mary-Ann