Best breakfast?

LJ1

Oct 17, 2021
I have recently started caring for a family member . Simple question what is the best breakfast to help with their Alzheimer Dementia ? They have been given cornflakes for last few years .... I admit I am a novice but this does`nt seem best .

I am introducing gradually fresh fruit , fresh veg , hydration but would appreciate feedback re this matter

Thanks

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @LJ1

There is nothing to stop you providing a varied menu for breakfast.

I`d replace the cornflakes with porridge with fruit, blueberries are particularly nutritious and go well with porridge. Also eggs in a variety of ways, softly poached or boiled on toast or with `soldiers`.

Anything which looks and smells good.

It`s lovely you care so much

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
It will also depend on what the person with dementia will accept. Many people with dementia develop very "narrow" tastes in food choice.

OH will only eat meusli for breakfast and a cheese sandwich for lunch - although he will happily eat whatever is put in front of him for dinner. Ive tried him with other things but without success, so I try and sneak nutritious stuff into his meusli (crushed nuts and seeds) and into his sandwich (salad leaves and/or tomato) and make his dinner as nutritious as possible.

There is this perception in the general community (encouraged IMO by the media) that eating and drinking the "right" stuff will prevent, or slow down dementia, but it wont. Go for, as far as possible, a well balanced diet and, as the disease progresses, you may well have to pile in the calories, but ultimately, you can only do what you can do, so dont feel guilty if you cant manage it.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
I agree that there is nothing that prevents or slows dementia so just go for a balanced diet. Dad needed calories so he had scrambled egg made with double cream and a few slithers of smoked salmon on top to make it interesting. It did wonders for his weight loss for a while.