Bereavement

Jaxx

Jun 2, 2015
Preston, Lancashire
My mum has Alzheimer's but was only diagnosed in June this year so she's still in the early stages. Last night I had to tell her her best friend had passed away. It was one of the hardest things I've had to do, she broke down and was sobbing uncontrollably. She said that she was her only friend and was more like a sister to her. What I want to know is will her Alzheimer's effect how she deals with that grief? She also has the added complication in that she is Bipolar. Luckily I live next door to her so I can keep a close eye on her but she's never had such devastating news for a long time and I'm unsure whether her Alzheimer's or the drug she's on for her Alzheimer's will change how she might react. She's on Memantine. Thanks x

I'm doing the Manchester Memory Walk, please sponsor me if you would like to help, using the link below. Many thanks x

http://www.justgiving.com/Jackie-Porter1

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
If she forgets the news and asks again, try not to tell her again as it would be cruel to put her through this over and over. There is the truth and then there are love lies, given to protect a person with dementia from news they might not be able to cope with. Distraction is the name of the game!