Benjamin Button

Grandma Joan

Mar 29, 2013
Wiltshire
Has anyone seen this film. I know it's about an old man gradually getting younger - does it have any similarity to living with Dementia ie forgetting recent memories but remembering things from when you were a teenager?

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
When we were in the USA it came on cable or I would never have watched it. I would have missed a very unusual and thought provoking film.

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
I saw this film at the cinema and I really didn't like it at all.

In some ways, I think there could be a comparison to dementia, but as dementia was not part of my life at the time, and I knew nothing about it, a comparison didn't strike me. But with hindsight I think there may well be one. Perhaps if I watched it again with this new knowledge and experience, I might see it.

In the film Benjamin is born old and throughout his life he gradually gets younger - physically as well as mentally. As he gets older, he does forget how to do things and becomes less mature, then childlike - it's basically the reverse of life, where we gradually learn things and become more mature - and eventually his wife ends up looking after a baby.

It's very sad and quite disturbing. Are you thinking of watching it, Grandma Joan?

yannichols

Account Closed
May 13, 2014
I haven't seen it and I really want to.. Based on the reviews I read,it might be worth watching.

dufresne

Feb 22, 2015
I really enjoyed that movie. I thought it was very well done. I personally wasn't making any connection to dementia with it, but probably because I was more into the film and the unique nature of it. I could certainly see where parallels could be drawn though.

Dazmum

Jul 10, 2011
Horsham, West Sussex
I saw this film at the cinema and I really didn't like it at all.

In some ways, I think there could be a comparison to dementia, but as dementia was not part of my life at the time, and I knew nothing about it, a comparison didn't strike me. But with hindsight I think there may well be one. Perhaps if I watched it again with this new knowledge and experience, I might see it.

In the film Benjamin is born old and throughout his life he gradually gets younger - physically as well as mentally. As he gets older, he does forget how to do things and becomes less mature, then childlike - it's basically the reverse of life, where we gradually learn things and become more mature - and eventually his wife ends up looking after a baby.

It's very sad and quite disturbing. Are you thinking of watching it, Grandma Joan?

I felt the same CG! I felt it really dragged and I didn't enjoy it at all.

carper8

Feb 26, 2014
lincolnshire
i enjoyed the film and i relate it with dementia all the time, i think that this is exactly
what is happening to my husband who has had vasular dementia for 10 years

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I watched it a couple of years ago. I could see similarities with dementia at particular points - as if there were sort of "crossover" points in his life. It reminded me a bit, at those particular scenes, of when my husband was at certain times and behaviours in his dementia, and my dau would get frustrated with me, saying "You are rewarding bad behaviour!" :D She worked with 2 year olds (mostly from difficult backgrounds) - and of course, with 2 year olds, you would never use the same kind of distracting techniques you would with an adult with dementia - distract with cake, trip out for something nice, soothe with a treat, etc.! Because the child will be learning - the adult with dementia won't. So, yeah, I could see similarities at a point, but I don't think it was intentional.