Benefits

Mun

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
Update ! : I've rung DWP again & dad's pension is NOT stopped,but AA & Pension Credit is @ 28 days.
I need to ring about my Carers Allowance now
Don't need this added stress,my dad is dying.
Thank you for your input Nebiroth x

Last edited:

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
When her AA is stopped after 28 days your CA will also stop unless she continues to receive another qualifying benefit.

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
You Carer Allowance will only stop when your dad's AA stops. It won't stop right away.

In my case, both my mum and dad got AA (for different things)

When my dad passed away the Carer Allowance unit simply updated their records so that my claim for CA elligibility transferred to my mum as caree instead, and it was absolutely seamless. I didn;t have to make a new claim or anything, I didn;t even miss a weekly payment.

Mun

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
I'm ringing the dept that deals with Carers Allowance again tomorrow,because you are right Nebiroth,it should be stopped when dad's AA is stopped & not straight away as I was told today.
My mum gets AA,but @ a lower rate than dad does

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
When the 28 days are up apply for CA for your mum, it doesn't matter that it is the lower rate.

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
Your carer allowance can be made on the grounds that your mum is getting AA as well. The rate she gets doesn't matter.

The Carers and Disability section can just switch your claim from your dad being the qualified person to your mum.

As I said, both my mum and my dad got AA. When my dad died I got a letter saying that my Carer Allowance would end after eight weeks (they give you this after the person you look after has passed away as a transition period). I got another letter saying that my claim for Carer Allowance was successful and that I was ellgibile for it from the first day after the eight weeks were up based on caring for my mum.

They did it according to the rules but the effect was, it was all seamless and I never actually lost a single day.

Mun

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
I've spoken to the Carers & Disability section again this am requesting clarification,my Carers Allowance will stop on 7th Sept,something to do with because I was only granted it @ the end of June, a maximum number of weeks(20???) of continuous "care" hadn't been reached, before dad went into hospital. And when I asked if my Carers Allowance could be just transferred to mum because she gets AA as well,I was told,no,I would have to apply like I did for dad.
TBH,if this is right now,great,if it's not,then I have neither the energy nor the desire to battle with them,I have to concentrate on my dad & make whatever time he has left as good as I can