Benefits

Annier68

Oct 9, 2021
I wanted to post this as I could find very little information when my husband 52 became unable to work. It was along with everything else a huge cause of stress.
After a new job broke down due to what we now know is young onset Alzheimer’s the job centre advised ESA by getting a fit note from the doctor and involved completing a lengthy form. This form probably made me realise how challenging things had become for us.
The form was sent in July and in November he was diagnosed which I updated with a letter I asked the consultant to write. The more I read the more worried I became. Everything seemed to hinge on this benefit...reduction in council tax one example. We also learned about pip and applied for that in December so I’m not expecting to hear about it for months.
After 7 months of sending fit notes we heard he was awarded esa, in the support group, a group not expected to get work again and in the higher rate until 2030. This has been such a relief. There was no medical assessment but we did give consent to access medical records. Finally we can apply for the 25% reduction in council tax and get a blue badge which will make everything easier.
I at the moment work full time, I can only do this as we continue to work from home so this is all we can apply for. I hope this helps someone else. Obviously we have many other challenges but for someone always organised with money going from 2 to 1 wage was an added pressure now been relieved somewhat. Even if process was long and very difficult.

Annier68

Oct 9, 2021
I just wanted to come back and say after 5 months and without any phone or face assessment my hub has been awarded full pip and esa. I’m letting people know as losing his wage was a huge concern for us. This includes mobility for planning journeys. What a relief and now we can start planning what we can do to make memories with our children instead of worrying about uncertainty.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I just wanted to come back and say after 5 months and without any phone or face assessment my hub has been awarded full pip and esa. I’m letting people know as losing his wage was a huge concern for us. This includes mobility for planning journeys. What a relief and now we can start planning what we can do to make memories with our children instead of worrying about uncertainty.
Im so glad that you got these. The resolved uncertainty is indeed a huge weight off your mind. Are you eligible for Carers Allowance?

Raest

Jan 15, 2022
We are in a similar position, my husband is 56 and diagnosed with Alzheimer’s in January. He was put on ESA in September 21 but the work version and this lasts for 12 months. We applied for PIP in January and got a call last week to say he will receive it and a letter will be sent in 4 weeks. Do we have to apply again for ESA support version and is that linked to earnings as I work 22 hours a week

Annier68

Oct 9, 2021
Both are not means tested as I increased my hours when we realised DH wouldn’t be able to work going forward. There are lots of rules for esa. DH was placed in support group as they realised work wasn’t an option. We don’t meet criteria for carers allowance as we are too young. I may now be able to reduce hours from 5 to 4 days which I’m sure will be necessary soon. I just wanted to let people know it is possible. I Did get support from cab and brief letter from consultant stating diagnosis and he needs support with daily tasks and cognitively work would not be possible.

Raest

Jan 15, 2022
Thank you for your response, hubby can’t work although he would love to as his speech is affected and he struggles to communicate and his short term memory is poor

Annier68

Oct 9, 2021
So sorry. We’re similar here. DH is 53 now. Citizens advice bureaux helped complete the forms over the phone and our council had a benefits worker who could support with what we were eligible for. Good luck. X

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
Carers allowance is not age related. There is a maximum earnings limit for the carer and above that you are not entitled. It is wise to check your earnings against this limit but sadly the limit is relatively low and the benefit is taxable

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
You cant get Carers Allowance if you are receiving State Pension. Carers Allowance is only for people of working age. It is not means tested as such - you can have £100,000 in a bank account and it doesnt matter, but you are only allowed to earn a small amount - currently £128 a week, although I believe that it is increasing to £132 a week. Most importantly, though, it pays your NI, so it is worth applying for if you are eligible.

silkiest

Feb 9, 2017
When only one of the couple works or is on a low income it is worth applying for 'Marriage allowance'. This is a tax allowance where the low/ no income partner applies to give part of their personal tax allowance to the working partner. This reduces the tax payable and the claim can be back dated up to 2017. My husband applied mid march and I have just paid a hefty check into our bank account. The information is on the governments website: https://www.gov.uk/marriage-allowance

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
the only thing with carers allowance is that if you have other means tested benefits, housing benefit etc, they consider it an income and will take it into account and decrease the benefit amount payable which may not be worth claiming it. i dont and we have an increase in pension credit because of it called with disability element.

Annier68

Oct 9, 2021
Thanks everyone. We’re not eligible for carers allowance as I earn too much. It’s attendance allowance that’s for over 65.
The marriage allowance would be worth looking into now.
Thanks for everyone’s help.