Benefits/support questions

Penguin12

Aug 24, 2017
Hello,

I'm enquiring for information on behalf of my mum. My step dad has Alzheimer's, he was diagnosed in his mid-50's and is now in his early 60's.
My mum retired at Christmas and they relocated to Scotland as my step dad was not coping with living in a busy area.
She applied for carers allowance about 2 months ago but has had her claim refused as he is only on the lower rate of benefit.
My step dad is unable to care for himself. He can't cook, can't work the washing machine and is becoming a danger to himself around the house by doing daft things. He nearly took his toe off with a pick axe the other day.
She is scared to apply to get his benefits reassessed as they have savings. They sold their house and bought a significantly cheaper property. My mum has no pension and this money is to keep them going!

What are her options? Has anybody else been in this position?
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi Penguin and welcome to TP.

My first thought is to ask if your dad has had an assessment of needs by the Social Work Department. It sounds as if he is very vulnerable and your mum sounds like she needs help to care for him.

This might help -
http://www.careinfoscotland.scot/topics/how-to-get-care-services/assessment-of-your-care-needs/

If they are living in Scotland personal care should be free - we have free personal care for the elderly. His level of need would be assessed through the SW department. If he needs anything over and above his free personal care entitlement it may well be that it will have to paid for from savings.

Penguin12

Aug 24, 2017
Thanks for the response.

He has had no assessment. I'm just starting to get my head around the system up here.
The care he received from his doctor in England was absolutely dreadful. He was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes last year and even then the doctor was useless. He was also discharged by every department regarding his condition.

He has a referral to the mental health team.

I'll get a care assessment organised.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee

Margaret59

Apr 4, 2017
Yorkshire
Hi,
From experience I can tell you that a claim can be made for Carers Allowance if the person you care for is on either Middle rate OR Higher rate D.L.A.
Although DLA is not "means tested", Carers Allowance takes earnings into account but that does NOT include money from pensions. You are allowed to earn up to a certain amount per week, cannot remember the exact figure but if you earn less then you should qualify.
I didn't see anything in the booklet relating to savings.
However when it comes to having to pay for care of carers this is something I have not looked into as yet.
You can ask someone to advice you on your benefit rights.

Rich PCA Carer

Aug 31, 2015
North Gloucestershire, UK
Since your Step Dad is in his early 60s he will need to apply for reassessment for Personal Independence Payment, Attendence Allowance only applies from 65. From what you say he should get the higher rate for daily living. He may also get something for mobility if you can establish that he is unsafe or unable to travel alone. Try this site https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/personal-independence-payment-pip to see if you think he will qualify. Read all the literature on this and the Governement site https://www.gov.uk/pip/how-to-claim before applying as you may need to do some preparation in advance and they don't give you that long to fill in the form. It is generally advised to get help filling in the form so that you present information in the best way to get the best result.

Good luck.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Sorry. I didn't notice that your step dad is in his early 60s re AA. Free personal care for the elderly in Scotland does start at 60 though.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I would like to reinforce what Izzy says about contacting Alzheimers Scotland. They are excellent and will advise, act as an advocate, support in many different ways. They got me through the first three years after diagnosis of my husband and gave me empathy and understanding when I was cracking up.

Tell your Mum to contact them. They also run a lot of groups where your folks can be entertained and meet other people. We are in Glasgow which is well served by them but other areas have services too. Go onto their website and have a look or phone them.

Good wishes.

Penguin12

Aug 24, 2017
He has had his driving license revoked and is utterly dependent on my mum to take him to appointments.

Does PIP take into account savings and pensions? He is on the lower rate of this already and she is afraid to get him reassessed incase they take away his benefits. They now have a lump sum of savings plus his pension. My mum has no income now as she retired to care for him.

Ethelburga

Aug 20, 2017
Yorkshire
Absolutely second everything just said.

Keep copies of forms in case you want to appeal. Look on Citizens advice website about PIP and other benefits . May be seek advice from citizens Advice or local carers centre if you've got one.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Sorry. I didn't notice that your step dad is in his early 60s re AA. Free personal care for the elderly in Scotland does start at 60 though.

My humble apologies - I don't know what I was thinking! Free personal care is only available to those 65 and over.