1. Our next Q&A session is on the topic of Christmas and dementia.This time we want our Q&A to involve our resident experts, you! Share tips and advice on navigating Christmas here in this thread.

Pop by and post your questions or if you prefer you can email your question to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.
  1. Summersun

Summersun Registered User

Feb 14, 2015
    Benefits of Deputyship?
    We are trying to persuade my father to apply to the court of protection to be a deputy for my mother, who has dementia. The cost of this is putting him off, and he thinks it is unnecessary. Is there a list anywhere that shows examples of they types of things people would not be able to do/decide/change if they did not have deputyship?
    Many thanks for any advice.

2. canary

canary Registered User

Feb 25, 2014
    Female
    South coast
    I applied to court of protection for finances as I needed access to her money to pay bills and I have to sell her house. I will also need it to try and trace her will that she has hidden and I cant find.
    You can also take out CoP for health and welfare. I havent done this and, so far, doctors etc have included me in discussions about her health.

3. Saffie

Saffie Registered User

Mar 26, 2011
    Female
    Near Southampton
    I don't know of a list but if anyone has income other than the basic state pensions/ benefits, Deputyship is necessary to manage any of their money. If only state pensions are involved and little capital then a DWP Appointeeship is sufficient.

Incidentally, it is vey difficult to obtain Deputyship for Health and Welfare.