Benefits available.

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by User, Nov 30, 2015.

  1. User

    User Registered User

    Mar 23, 2015
    The new "PIP" doesn't apply to my mum, who's over the maximum age. She does get "Attendance Allowance". We will hopefully be employing a carer soon, privately.

    Can you point me ar a resource to work out what benefits are available, or is there an independent concern which can supply such information?

    This for either my mum to claim, or for the employed carer to claim.

    There's some information here:

    about various things available, but it's all a bit of a maze!
  2. fizzie

    fizzie Registered User

    Jul 20, 2011
    I don't believe there are any other benefits - carers allowance is not payable to paid carers Attendance allowance is about it if she is over the age for PIP.
    One 'benefit' is that if someone lives alone in their own home (rented or owned) and has dementia they can be deemed to have a 'severe or substantial mental impairment' and this means that in most local authorities they are entitled to a waiver on council tax - the doctor has to sign the form.
    others may know about other things. A good place to go for local info is your local carers cafe and the dementia helpline

    Alzheimer's Society National Dementia Helpline 0300 222 1122 can provide information, support, guidance and signposting to other appropriate organisations.

    The Helpline is usually open from:
    9am - 8pm Monday to Wednesday
    9am - 5pm on Thursday and Friday
    10am - 4pm on Saturday and Sunday

    or the Age UK freephone line free national advice line that is open 365 days a year . To talk to someone, just call 0800 169 2081.
    are also very useful sources of information
  3. Beate

    Beate Registered User

    May 21, 2014
    Organisations like Age UK or the Carers Centre can do a benefit check with you to make sure you and mum are not missing out on anything you are entitled to.
  4. Havemercy

    Havemercy Registered User

    Oct 8, 2012
  5. iknownothing

    iknownothing Registered User

    Aug 2, 2015
    benefits available

    Hello if anyone can help with this I would be grateful. As it is I have no idea what I can claim for my dad. He has been assessed as being able to pay for his care such as it is. Leaving him in poverty.
  6. Louby65

    Louby65 Registered User

    Mar 26, 2014
    I applied 18 months ago for personalisation / direct payments , which I have just received . They checked my mums finances and assets and have still awarded her a very good monthly payment which will pay for a carer . I will have to top it up a bit but I am very pleased with the result . My mum is 84 with vascular dementia who needs 24/7 care . She attends a day centre 4 days a week and receives disability living allowance . There is a lot of information on personalisation and direct payments on the internet . Hope that helps . It's such a shame that we have to fight for everything and scour the internet and forums such as these to get the information which should be more readily available . Even the social worker didn't know anything about personalisation when I first enquired in April , even though it was getting rolled out in May . Good luck . Lou
  7. Jonny1

    Jonny1 Account on hold

    Apr 9, 2015
    Nantwich, Cheshire
    I'm going through this myself. There is some great practical and anecdotal information on privately employing carers in the book "Where Memories Go: Why Dementia Changes Everything" beautifully written by Sally Magnusson - broadcaster daughter of Magnus, who presented Mastermind. Sally and her family cared for their mother at home when she had dementia. It's a touching story which I've taken a lot from with the care of my mother

    Sent from my iPad using Talking Point
  8. fizzie

    fizzie Registered User

    Jul 20, 2011

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.