Benefits available.

User

Mar 23, 2015
The new "PIP" doesn't apply to my mum, who's over the maximum age. She does get "Attendance Allowance". We will hopefully be employing a carer soon, privately.

Can you point me ar a resource to work out what benefits are available, or is there an independent concern which can supply such information?

This for either my mum to claim, or for the employed carer to claim.

There's some information here:

https://www.gov.uk/browse/benefits/disability

about various things available, but it's all a bit of a maze!

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
I don't believe there are any other benefits - carers allowance is not payable to paid carers Attendance allowance is about it if she is over the age for PIP.
One 'benefit' is that if someone lives alone in their own home (rented or owned) and has dementia they can be deemed to have a 'severe or substantial mental impairment' and this means that in most local authorities they are entitled to a waiver on council tax - the doctor has to sign the form.
others may know about other things. A good place to go for local info is your local carers cafe and the dementia helpline

Alzheimer's Society National Dementia Helpline 0300 222 1122 can provide information, support, guidance and signposting to other appropriate organisations.

The Helpline is usually open from:
9am - 8pm Monday to Wednesday
9am - 5pm on Thursday and Friday
10am - 4pm on Saturday and Sunday

or the Age UK freephone line free national advice line that is open 365 days a year . To talk to someone, just call 0800 169 2081.
are also very useful sources of information

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Organisations like Age UK or the Carers Centre can do a benefit check with you to make sure you and mum are not missing out on anything you are entitled to.

iknownothing

Aug 2, 2015
Hertfordshire
benefits available

Hello if anyone can help with this I would be grateful. As it is I have no idea what I can claim for my dad. He has been assessed as being able to pay for his care such as it is. Leaving him in poverty.

Louby65

Mar 26, 2014
Scotland
I applied 18 months ago for personalisation / direct payments , which I have just received . They checked my mums finances and assets and have still awarded her a very good monthly payment which will pay for a carer . I will have to top it up a bit but I am very pleased with the result . My mum is 84 with vascular dementia who needs 24/7 care . She attends a day centre 4 days a week and receives disability living allowance . There is a lot of information on personalisation and direct payments on the internet . Hope that helps . It's such a shame that we have to fight for everything and scour the internet and forums such as these to get the information which should be more readily available . Even the social worker didn't know anything about personalisation when I first enquired in April , even though it was getting rolled out in May . Good luck . Lou

Jonny1

Account on hold
Apr 9, 2015
Nantwich, Cheshire
I'm going through this myself. There is some great practical and anecdotal information on privately employing carers in the book "Where Memories Go: Why Dementia Changes Everything" beautifully written by Sally Magnusson - broadcaster daughter of Magnus, who presented Mastermind. Sally and her family cared for their mother at home when she had dementia. It's a touching story which I've taken a lot from with the care of my mother

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Hello if anyone can help with this I would be grateful. As it is I have no idea what I can claim for my dad. He has been assessed as being able to pay for his care such as it is. Leaving him in poverty.[/

Are you claiming attendance Allowance? I don't know your circumstances but if he has dementia he will be able to get it either at the lower or the higher rate depending on his needs but you need help filling in the form if you are not used to doing benefit forms. This is a non means tested allowance

Paying for care should not be leaving him in a position where he cannot pay for food or heating or the things that he needs such as bills etc and if that is the case then you need to phone social services and explain to them and ask them to have another look at his circumstances.

You may be eligible for Carers Allowance depending on your circumstances

Your Dad may be eligible for a council tax waiver - under substantial mental impairment - if he lives on his own

You can get a Carers Passport from Carers in Herts and they will give you some benefits advice too

I don't know where you are in Hertfordshire but Crossroads have a lot of Carers Cafes in Hertfordshire and they are brilliant for getting local advice - worth taking a couple of hours off work just once in the month if you need to to get there. Have a look on the Crossroads North Herts Website (that will lead you to all sorts of information but particularly the cafes)

Let me know if you need any more help as I am in the same county.