Benefit query

Reds

Sep 5, 2011
Hertfordshire
Hi

My husband has Alzheimer's and I am his carer. If my husband had to go into hospital for some treatment due to another illness would my carer's allowance completely stop? Also do other benefits completely stop?

Reds

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Hi

My husband has Alzheimer's and I am his carer. If my husband had to go into hospital for some treatment due to another illness would my carer's allowance completely stop? Also do other benefits completely stop?

Reds

Check your award letter Reds, but I think you have 28 days before you lose your allowance. You have to tell them as soon as your husband goes into hospital, but as I always do OH's laundry and visit twice a day to make sure she is getting properly looked after in Hospital anyway, nothing changes much as far as full time care is concerned. Whether the DWP accept that is another matter.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
It's complicated, carer's allowance last for 12 weeks but the underlying eligibility may not.
If the eligibility is based on attendance allowance this stops after 28 days - admission and discharge do not count as days - there are also rules about multiple admissions.

Problems quite often arise because the various DWP departments do not talk to each other, maybe inform both the CA and the underlying benefit department but don't expect them to get it correct first time !

Ameliasmama

Oct 24, 2015
It's a catch 22 I've found and all depends on whether the entitlement for carer's comes from attendance allowance or PIP/DLA. If it's the latter then carer's allowance stops after 12 weeks in the previous 26 weeks. For example my Dad has currently been in hospital for 2 weeks 1 day, but he was also admitted for 5 days in September so that counts towards the 12 week 'grace' period so to the DWP he's been an in patient for 2 weeks 6 days.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Ameliasmama

Oct 24, 2015
The catch being entitlement to DLA stops after 28 days in hospital, therefore cancelling out the entitlement to carer's allowance.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point