Benefit of using CAB or solicitor for deputyship

n!x

Dec 1, 2020
Apologies if this specific question has already been covered as I have read a lot of the other forums for guidance on deputyship, but driving myself crazy on what to do for the best.
I am having to apply for deputyship for 87year old nan who has Alzheimer’s. We managed to get her to agree to go into a care home on the basis of restpite but with a view to making it permanent, as she lives on her own and leaving the house in the dark wandering about and the memory clinic have said her condition is severe . It also causing a big strain on the family trying to provide care. We don’t have LOA so I am looking at deputyship, and whilst I have looked through the forms and trying to do my research to make sure I get it right. I’d welcome peoples opinions on what are the benefits of going through a solicitor (and can you recoup your the solicitor fees from the person in question) compared to booking an appointment with Citizens Advice and then assisting with completing the forms?
We have the added issue that my Nans house has developed damp from a leaking roof and so really need to get things sorted and get the house sold ASAP to cover the home fees, although she does have savings above the threshold. Just weighing up whether to go it alone or with a solicitor as I have a family and don’t have money to burn if it’s not necessarily needed.
Any view would be great appreciated :)

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
The advantage of going through a solicitor is that you dont have to worry about doing the paper shuffling and form filling. The disadvantage is that it will cost you an extra £3,000. Yes, you can recoup the expenses from the person you have deputyship with, but you wont be able to do that until you have the deputyship - and it can take a while to come through. In mums case a good six months and it may be more now due to the pandemic and fewer court sessions.

I did the deputyship application for mum myself and although there is a fair bit to do and you have to make sure you get it right, I found it doable. CAB can advise you for free and I believe that Age UK can as well.

n!x

Dec 1, 2020
The advantage of going through a solicitor is that you dont have to worry about doing the paper shuffling and form filling. The disadvantage is that it will cost you an extra £3,000. Yes, you can recoup the expenses from the person you have deputyship with, but you wont be able to do that until you have the deputyship - and it can take a while to come through. In mums case a good six months and it may be more now due to the pandemic and fewer court sessions.

I did the deputyship application for mum myself and although there is a fair bit to do and you have to make sure you get it right, I found it doable. CAB can advise you for free and I believe that Age UK can as well.
Thank you I really appreciate your reply. Ive been through the forms again and I’ve managed to get an appointment with the CAB so I think I will go down that route. I didn’t initially realise the CAB could help, so I don’t feel so overwhelmed that I need to find money for a solicitor. Also I can keep a closer eye on things and don’t have to chase a solicitor to see where they have got to with eveyrything.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
When doing it yourself @n!x , one thing to remember is to make sure that you request the authority to sell the house in the original application form. If you dont ask for it, you wont get it and then you would have to apply for the authority to sell it, along with another wait for the court to decide and another £400!