benefit minefield

rea123

Mar 30, 2015
where di i begin.... before my husbands diagnosis of frontotemporal dementia he was in reciept of contribution based esa... failed his work assesment with 0 points... appealed this and thannkfully had everythinng in place before the tribunal took place...we have now recieved a letter stating that he his entitled to esa with the support component... now for the next bit on the same day we recieved a letter stating that his esa is to finish on the 31st may because he has had it for 365days... we get no other benefits.. what the hell do we do now...

im trying so hard to even take in the news of his dementia without having to deal with this as well.... feel so overwhelmed i cnt even think... i know im waffling but really am unsure of everything

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
Contact either The Alzheimer's Society, Age UK, The Carers Trust or Citizen's Advice, whichever one suits you best, and ask for help in sorting this out. At least one of these organisations will be able to assist you.

I am sorry you have been put to this worry and I hope that it's sorted out promptly.

Alison N

Jan 3, 2015
Surrey
Hi Real123, I thought the support component of ESA was an indefinite payment until the state pension age. It is the work related group that ends usually after 365 days. Do you think the letter that says it ends means the work related benefit and that your OH is going over to the support group benefit perhaps?

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Hi Real123, I thought the support component of ESA was an indefinite payment until the state pension age. It is the work related group that ends usually after 365 days. Do you think the letter that says it ends means the work related benefit and that your OH is going over to the support group benefit perhaps?

Yes support group ESA is until retirement age ! Hope this helps x

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

rea123

Mar 30, 2015
thanks every one... no i didnt knoe it was until retirement age.... the letter dsnt say if it was the work related esa etc... but seeing he was awarded 0 points at the assesment cos in my naivity i didnt realise i could go in with him...i would presume thats what he was put on..., looks like a day phoning round 2morrow to get this sorted... but now im armed with a little knowledege... so once again u lot are just amazing x

rea123

Mar 30, 2015
frontotemporal and halusinations

i know ive spelt it wrong, it dsnt even look right but my oh had one ... we were just sat talking when all of a sudden he said dnt they look pretty, lue yellow and red christmas fairy lights hanging from the ceiling... i laughed at first.... then i realised he did believe he could see them. we then had to go in the kitchen and look at them in there, but there were none outside... i could see he was frightened so was i.. it lasted for a good five minutes... i tried to reasure him that i couldnt see what he could see.. but i told him i believed he could... phned the doctor who rang back 4hrs later to say oh have these started already... our mental health nurse is popping in on friday... but are halusinations common with ftd is this something else ive got to get use to... something else ive got to cope with...

WIFE

May 23, 2014
WEST SUSSEX
Rea - easier on your nerves to just say "yes" to everything. My husband suffered hallucinations and delusions - snakes, children, tanks, whole armies, people of differing nationalities, swans and condors in the trees, boats on the roof. - you name it "we" saw it from day to day. It is a very common side affect of dementia and for us can be quite disconcerting but as I say - it is easier just to agree with whatever your husband thinks he is seeing. The delusions are harder - my husband spent a lot of time convinced that the Nursing Home was being gassed by British Rail! Stay strong WIFE

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Rea - easier on your nerves to just say "yes" to everything. My husband suffered hallucinations and delusions - snakes, children, tanks, whole armies, people of differing nationalities, swans and condors in the trees, boats on the roof. - you name it "we" saw it from day to day. It is a very common side affect of dementia and for us can be quite disconcerting but as I say - it is easier just to agree with whatever your husband thinks he is seeing. The delusions are harder - my husband spent a lot of time convinced that the Nursing Home was being gassed by British Rail! Stay strong WIFE

Oh WIFE, I remember the days you spent, searching under the bed for Germans and Spies, or were they German Spies? ;) Hope you're as OK as possible. xxx

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Remember the snakes and Germans in the wardrobes plus all the other battles you fought together. I hope you have reached the stage where the memories of the long and happy life you had together have now come to the fore, at least for most of the time. xxx

Flake

Mar 9, 2015
thanks every one... no i didnt knoe it was until retirement age.... the letter dsnt say if it was the work related esa etc... but seeing he was awarded 0 points at the assesment cos in my naivity i didnt realise i could go in with him...i would presume thats what he was put on..., looks like a day phoning round 2morrow to get this sorted... but now im armed with a little knowledege... so once again u lot are just amazing x

You may also be able to claim Personal Independence Payment if under 65. Phone the DWP and ask for a form. These forms are quite long and tedious and you may need help to complete them to get the wording correct. Once completed you may be asked to attend a medical. Make sure you attend the appointment together just to make sure of what is said in case you have to appeal.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Note that old DLA is now changing to pip, if you're over 65.
Also get age UK or similar it fill in forms, there's buzzwords to use!