Being stressed out dealing with my uncle

Nightshade01

Nov 24, 2019
Me and my mother are having to put up with being got at and shouted at all the time. My uncle keeps opening and banging shut the front door none stop. I have to take him to doctor appointments. He is completely horrible. He was horrible to me before he got dementia. I hope he won't ruin Christmas. We are planning to move out away from him soon. I am finding this unbearable. I am also trying to get on with my life. I haven't been fit for work due to nearly having a breakdown and feeling to pressurized. I have decided to go self employed as I like to do my own thing.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
My immediate family had several work crises while we were looking after my dad with dementia and he wasn’t horrible. I’m self-employed and, although that brings its own problems, I was my own boss and I’m sure it made dealing with dad slightly easier. Good luck with your new venture..

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
@Kate221 my dad is a sweetie, nearly 90 years old with a 10 second memory (alzheimers) and an advanced cancer but he is probably the easiest person with dementia that I have ever encountered or even heard of. I count myself lucky really. I would not care for a distant relative, no way.

Your uncle is not your responsibility. You can walk away anytime you like without guilt. He is not your mums responsibility either but I hope that she does at least inform the social services about his behaviour and that he is a vulnerable person in need of help.

I hope that you can get away from this pressure soon and can get on with your own life.

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
Me and my mother are having to put up with being got at and shouted at all the time. My uncle keeps opening and banging shut the front door none stop. I have to take him to doctor appointments. He is completely horrible. He was horrible to me before he got dementia. I hope he won't ruin Christmas. We are planning to move out away from him soon. I am finding this unbearable. I am also trying to get on with my life. I haven't been fit for work due to nearly having a breakdown and feeling to pressurized. I have decided to go self employed as I like to do my own thing.
So sorry to read of your awful situation. I do hope for everyone’s sake you can find the support your uncle so obviously needs which will allow you & your mum to move on with your own lives knowing he’s card for. Take care.

Nightshade01

Nov 24, 2019
@Kate221 my dad is a sweetie, nearly 90 years old with a 10 second memory (alzheimers) and an advanced cancer but he is probably the easiest person with dementia that I have ever encountered or even heard of. I count myself lucky really. I would not care for a distant relative, no way.

Your uncle is not your responsibility. You can walk away anytime you like without guilt. He is not your mums responsibility either but I hope that she does at least inform the social services about his behaviour and that he is a vulnerable person in need of help.

I hope that you can get away from this pressure soon and can get on with your own life.
It is a bit difficult as I live under the same roof. I have to take him to docter's appoitmentments and I am helping my Mother out. The social services are helping me and my mother to move out soon.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lindsay A