being prescribed Aricept

maggier

Jan 9, 2006
manchester
Hi
Sorry not posted for a while, things have been plodding on with mum, she is getting more stubborn with me when I try to do anything for her and won't let me even make her a cup of tea, she is happy with her own brew (usually just hot water cos she forgets to put milk, sugar and even the tea bag in the cup!) but si is adamant she can "do it herself" frustrating for me but what can you do!
This is just a query, has anyone else experienced a long wait between being told their relative is going on Aricept to actually getting the drug prescribed. We were told in May that mum was to go on Aricept and we were told at the start that the whole process would take 6-8 weeks (!!) it is now nearly December and we are still waiting for a visit from the dedicated Aricept Nurse/Occ Therapist who apparently have to visist first before mum can be started on this drug. Am i expecting too much too soon. Its just that obviousy 6-8 weeks has truned into 6-8 months and that is a long time for an alzheimers sufferer, and selfishly this is OUR MUM we are talking about and obviously we want to do right by her and for her. We have been told now that it may even be JAnuary before they can come and see her. any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated and also any information on whose buttons to press to get things moving would be a help.

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
This delay is unacceptable and something has gone awry.

First point of call should be the GP and I'd recommend a one to one meeting to find out what is going on. You should at least have a decision by now.

There is a lot less delay when the reassess and take the drug away. The NICE stance on this has cause a lot of problems and you really need to fight your corner. It will depend on the stage as the guidelines now discourage prescribing aricept in the very early or latter stages. I'll dig out a link to the guidelines if I can find them. However, that should not be your conern right now if it has already been agreed.

We did have a bit of a fight to get aricept, but it was all done through his GP who was really on the ball. The problems came when dad was reassessed and they decided to take it away, that was so frustrating. To this day I'm convinced that taking aricept away hurried his decline. They always promised to put dad back on aricept if there were any dramatic changes.

I'm sorry, but you may have a fight on your hands.

Kind Regards
Craig

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
dear maggier,sorry you are having a waiting period before the script is given.To be honest i deal with people being prescribed aricept on a regular basis and have never known the script to take so long to get through to the GP.Sometimes as a trial the memory clinic will prescribe themselves to monitor dosage,but again it doesn't take that long to come through.

in my own experience with my dad it was totally diffrent,the consultant visited dad at home,did the mmmse and gave us a letter to give to the GP to prescribe Reminyl.

if i was you i would phone the consultant and ask what the delay is,and ask that when the script needs repeating who do you go to.love elainex

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Hi Magger
as Craig says the delay is unacceptable.
There are two simple ways to prescribe Aricept.
A letter fron the consultant to the GP and the GP provides the Aricept,or the consultant prescribes and the Aricept are delivered from the hospital pharmacy.
I cannot understand what the OT has to do with precribing medication,and I cannot imagine what is an Aricept nurse?
I would suggest that you speak to the GP
Norman

maggier

Jan 9, 2006
manchester
Well I did as you suggested and contaced mum's GP.... waste of time.

His answer to me when I explained the situation and asked him could he do a chase up for us was
"well I have 80,000 patients on my books and I cannot chase matters for all of them"
My answer to him was. "Well my mum is one of those 80,000 and you have not seen her in 4 years!!"
He did concede that it was unacceptable to wait this amount of time for a prescription for Aricept when the decision had been made by a consultant to put her on it was 8 months ago, so he would do a letter but he didnt see what good it would do!.

AMAZING
any suggestion who to contact next would be appreciated.
Cheers
Maggie

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
We have to wait too long for treatment for our loved ones.

Dear Maggie,
From the time of Peter's diagnoises, the Consultant gave me his precription right away. Apparently, the G.P.'s cannot prescribe it, it has to be from the Consultant, dosage etc. Each monthly visit to the Consultant, he always gave another prescription. I think it is disgusting the waiting. My personal advice would be to contact the Consultant Secretary and explain things to her.
Best wishes. Christine

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I think different consultants have different procedures about this vis a vis who does the prescribing. I remember reading a GP's blog about this prescribing issue i.e whether the consultant prescribes or whether the GP does. His (the GPs) position was that if a consultant recommended a medication then the consultant should do the prescribing, as GPs don't have the ability always to keep up on current meds and their side-effects. However, I guess a case could be made that having one point of contact for a prescription means that you are less likely to have an unfortunate interaction of meds. My point being, there isn't a set procedure for this, even within PCTs.

I would definitely call the consultant's secretary about this. If nothing else, he/she should be able to tell you what normally happens with this particular consultant.

Have you considered moving GPs? Personally, I don't think someone who has 80000 patients on their books can be expected to do an adequate job.

Edited to add; I assume you saw the consultant at a hospital? You might try that hospital's PALS department. Also have a look here (about half way down the page) http://www.bma.org.uk/ap.nsf/Content/InfoOnPrescrib0904~Pats&Prescrib

And yet more information http://www.nyrdtc.nhs.uk/GMMMG/Grou.../IP_Docs/_RAG_Guidance/RAG Document FINAL.pdf lists drugs and who is responsible for prescribing them in the manchester area. Donepezil (Aricpet) is listed as Amber, which means the consultant should prescribed in the first place, with responsibility being transferred to the GP after the dose is stabilized. This may NOT cover your mother's PCT of course.

Last edited:

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Hi MaggieR - I do recall some delay between Aricept being suggested and mum actually being prescribed it. Part of that process was that mum had to have heart monitor check (not sure if that's routine - could have been mum's history of high blood pressure?) ... which meant having to wait for appointment at hospital for said check ... we then had to wait for CPN to visit (I guess that's the Aricept Nurse) and do more blood pressure checks ...... but absolutely a matter of weeks not months .... Sounds to me like the paperwork for 'routine procedures' may have gone astray in the 'system' ....... ?????

Agree with Jennifer absolutely about considering changing GP - not necessarily because of the number of patients - I'd be concerned about his 'bedside manner'!!!!! I don't know how I would have managed mum over the last couple of years without her fabulous GP (amongst other people) .... you need people on your side who make you and mum feel like you are the only ones in the world that matter to them ....... (even if that is only during a five minute consultation) ....

Mum's under Salford PCT - no Memory Clinics as such - all 'Outreach' - if I can be of any help with information locally - please PM,

Love, Karen, x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
When my husband was prescribed Aricept, the consultant gave us his first prescription, then and there. He wrote to inform our GP, who issued following prescriptions.

My husband was first prescribed an anti-depressant by the GP. Now the GP still issues the prescriptions, but any change in the dose, has to be authorized by the consultant.