Being overweight reduces dementia risk.

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
My mum looked after herself, was average weight for her height, walked everywhere, kept her mind active and didn't smoke or drink.

She did however worry incessantly. She knew a lot of unhappiness in her life and suffered with anxiety. I believe her blood pressure must have been up and down constantly. I always wondered if she would end up having a nervous breakdown. She had a stroke at age 55. Ten years later she was diagnosed with dementia. She now is 67, underweight and living in a care home with late stage dementia. The only positive from this is that she no longer worries about anything.

Just as everyone is different it's my belief that so many factors affect our brain function and it's so hard to narrow it down to one causative factor.

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
I'm sure somebody will know exactly how they define 'overweight'. It seems that anything more than 'very slim' is classed as 'overweight' nowadays, in other words even the slight bit of extra padding that would have been considered entirely normal a few decades ago, especially if you were over a certain age.