Being ill with Alzheimers

Shellybob62

Jun 20, 2024
My dad was diagnosed with mixed vascular dementia/alzheimers in October. Since then he has had 2 hospital stays, the first bout he developed delirium, was in hospital for a week, it was scary seeing him not able to talk, he then went to a rehabilitation care home. When he came out he hot gradually better. Now he has had another UTI which has floored him, we got antibiotics quicker this time and only spent 5 days in hospital. He is home but he's not eating very well and still remains very tired.
Has anyone experienced this sort of thing before? If so how long can it take to get better?

My Mum's Daughter

Feb 8, 2020
It's common, very, very common. If a PWD gets a UTI, any other sort of infection or even constipation, their dementia gets worse. Once the source has been found and treated, they usually pick up but not always to where they were before.

No answer to how long can it take to get better as this is a variable.

If your Dad's not eating very well, try giving him what he will eat which will probably involve a great deal of sugar. You may find that he'll eat several bowls of ice cream and turn his nose up at a freshly cooked meal.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Well welcome first of all, and as has been said but please never think that what you post goes unread by fellow carers. K

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello and welcome from me also @Shellybob62 to this friendly and supportive forum. There is lots of shared experience of dementia here from people that really do want to help.

I am sorry to read about your Dad's diagnosis. This can be the most challenging part of caring for a loved one with dementia. The way the symptoms develop, some slowly, some more quickly, and sometimes after an infection, they never return to quite how they were. It's so hard and I do feel for you.
This forum is just a great place for sound advice, good suggestions and understanding - it is the world of dementia that has bought us all together here, sadly.

Please remember you are never alone on this forum. Sometimes just putting things down on here can help, how you are feeling etc. It's a safe space to do that.

Shellybob62

Jun 20, 2024
Thanks all for your replies, think it’s just about getting used to how illness affects a person with dementia. Dad only used to get sick once a year after Christmas (I know it sounds strange but honestly he did!). I’m glad to say he is much better now and is getting more mobile.