Being held/sectioned in Dementia Ward & Drugs Stopped Working

Abbey82

Jun 12, 2018
Afternoon Everyone,

My Dad is 60 and has FTD/Bi-Lateral Lobe Dementia and Alzheimers and the disease has progressed so rapidly after initial diagnosis last July when he was moderately affected.

I have a couple of questions if anyone's been in a similar scenario; My Dad was sectioned on Friday for 6-8. weeks initially which we supported as his drugs (trazadone) have seem to of stopped working and he's become a danger to himself at home (my home, he lives with us)

It looks like he's had a severe decline over the last couple of weeks and his OCD's tendencies are off the scale, he's being aggressive when challenged, slurring his words and unable to offer up the right words, stripping naked, trying door Handels and wont/unable to sit down. for more than 2 minutes.

He's tried Memantine and Doneprezil a number of times and these don't work for him, the aggressiveness worsens.

Although he only become aggressive when challenged, we had to call 999 on Tuesday and it took form then until Friday to section him. There have been another couple of incidents in hospital also but he is now being given Respiradone and again we are happy about this but need to give it a few weeks, although he has a higher risk of stroke/heart attack, we know a couple of others who have been prescribed it and it's really helped.

However, we have been told that it may not work and that Dad may not be able to come home again, long term it may need to be a secure dementia nursing unit/home. We are under no illusions about the future but would prefer if he could be stabilised and return home for the time he has, or is able to.

Has anyone experienced someone with Dementia where all drugs have stopped working ? and also anyone who has had to be admitted to a secure facility long term ? At the moment he's is only being sedated if his safety or the nurses is in question, but if the Resp doesn't work our options are even more limited.

Just wanted to see other people's similar experiences, Thanks, Adele

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im sorry to hear about your dad @Abbey82

Unfortunately, if you have FTD drugs that are usually used for Alzheimers can often make matters worse. That is why the donpezil and memantine (which are used for Alzheimers) can make the aggression worse - this is actually quite common in FTD. Similarly, using benzos (diazepam, clonazepam, clobazam, lorazepam etc) to sedate can actually make them hyper. You could check to see what drugs are being used to sedate him and talk to the doctors about this.

There are several antipsychotics that could be tried if the respiridon doesnt work. Sometimes, unfortunately, it is a bit of trial and error.

My mum (with Alzheimers) was in a secure care home for the last 3 years of her life and was content there, but she was never sectioned and was older than your dad. I know that there are several members on here whose relative was sectioned, some returned home and others moved into residential care. Im sure they will be along soon to reply.

Abbey82

Jun 12, 2018
Thanks for your reply Canary. Yes, we've had a small amount of Lorazepam to use as free will when my Dad has been agitated, best of all it was prescribed when my Dad was ill (sickness). and the Doctor told me there was nothing he could do and Dementia was a 'Social Disease'. coupled with that if he was in a care home, they would sedate him and then clean him up. I just lost all faith in our GP from then onwards.

In any case, I do know has been injected with Lorazepam (amongst other sedatives) when he was first treated in A&E to make sure it was a medical reason for the decline. He is super sensitive to drugs and changes too so it limits us a little further.

I do take solace in learning from others who are going through this too, I also have had to learn and research so much as support is so limited on a medical level. My Dad has probably deteriorated much faster than most and we just want to try and settle him as much as possible for however long he has left.

Im sorry to hear about your dad @Abbey82

Unfortunately, if you have FTD drugs that are usually used for Alzheimers can often make matters worse. That is why the donpezil and memantine (which are used for Alzheimers) can make the aggression worse - this is actually quite common in FTD. Similarly, using benzos (diazepam, clonazepam, clobazam, lorazepam etc) to sedate can actually make them hyper. You could check to see what drugs are being used to sedate him and talk to the doctors about this.

There are several antipsychotics that could be tried if the respiridon doesnt work. Sometimes, unfortunately, it is a bit of trial and error.

My mum (with Alzheimers) was in a secure care home for the last 3 years of her life and was content there, but she was never sectioned and was older than your dad. I know that there are several members on here whose relative was sectioned, some returned home and others moved into residential care. Im sure they will be along soon to reply.
hank

Abbey82

Jun 12, 2018
So, a little update, we've now had to stop Respiradone as my Dads neck has bent 90 degrees and he cannot move it (side affect) he is super sensitive to medication so now looking at what other options we have. I'm waiting on an appointment with the Doctor now to find out what the plan is