being a carer

capricorn1

May 26, 2015
hi can someone be a carer and have power of attourney over someone if they have been in a mental hospital them self ?:eek:

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
I don't know for certain so I'm bumping your post up the queue-I hope someone can give you an informed answer.

From my own point of view-I guess you can. Lots of people go into mental health units for lots of different reasons-some never need any help ever again-some are repeat customers! There are a lot of carers on this Forum who are so near the edge that it's a miracle they don't need MH treatment themselves. (Talking from experience). There are so many MH problems that are recognised nowadays-from anorexia to depression to bi-polar.

There could possibly be a problem-not from a legal angle-more from a realistic stance in addressing whether a person has the mental strength to cope with being a Carer, and dealing with quite a lot of admin if you are a POA. However, that can apply to anyone! You need a lot of energy to do either or both.

I don't know if you posed the question on behalf of yourself or someone else but I hope you get some more answers soon.

Take care

Lyn T XX

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Hi capricorn and welcome to TP :)

I agree with Lyn. As far as I am aware, a carer can be a carer whatever their medical history (including mental health issues). The question would be should they be a carer? Do they now have the energy and ability to put someone else's needs first on a regular basis? Do they have the resilience to cope with frequent crises and problems?

If yes, then no problem. If they are uncertain, then have a good think about it before committing themselves. Perhaps especially when it comes to Power of Attorney.

You can care about someone, love them even, without being their carer as such. In fact I guess most of us find ourselves becoming carers without planning to! If you (or whoever) feel up to it, Capricorn, go for it and good luck to you - you'll be joining the rest of us withour anxieties and problems!

No-one's perfect, after all :)

Lindy xx

capricorn1

May 26, 2015
I don't know for certain so I'm bumping your post up the queue-I hope someone can give you an informed answer.

From my own point of view-I guess you can. Lots of people go into mental health units for lots of different reasons-some never need any help ever again-some are repeat customers! There are a lot of carers on this Forum who are so near the edge that it's a miracle they don't need MH treatment themselves. (Talking from experience). There are so many MH problems that are recognised nowadays-from anorexia to depression to bi-polar.

There could possibly be a problem-not from a legal angle-more from a realistic stance in addressing whether a person has the mental strength to cope with being a Carer, and dealing with quite a lot of admin if you are a POA. However, that can apply to anyone! You need a lot of energy to do either or both.

I don't know if you posed the question on behalf of yourself or someone else but I hope you get some more answers soon.

Take care

Lyn T XX
Thanks for the replys folks i was asking for someone else. they wer in a MH hospital some years ago but just wondered if it would preclude them from being in charge of someone elses banking etc. they still have a drink problem and i think the money is being spent for the wrong reasons ?

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi Capricorn
Having an alcoholic in charge of your finances sound a bit risky.
If as you say "and i think the money is being spent for the wrong reasons" then you need to do something before it gets worse, one option would be asking them to step down and appoint new POA/s the other is the court of protection.
Welcome to TP.
K

capricorn1

May 26, 2015
Hi Capricorn
Having an alcoholic in charge of your finances sound a bit risky.
If as you say "and i think the money is being spent for the wrong reasons" then you need to do something before it gets worse, one option would be asking them to step down and appoint new POA/s the other is the court of protection.
Welcome to TP.
K

all advice taken on board i will be watching with interest thanks all.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamieF7