Behaviour Causing Concern

SandieM

Jan 13, 2013
I have been awake since 3.30a.m. worrying about my husband's increasingly difficult behaviour. His parents had Alzhheimers and it has occurred to me previously that he may be showing signs.
However he has become very difficult lately - mood swings and unreasonable behaviour. Becomes angry and screams and shouts at the slightest remark. He has forgotten some surprising (was looking at a picture on our wall of a place we know very well and had no idea where it was) and seems to be slowing down in his thinking. Used to read a lot but doesn't now. Chooses to watch really unchallenging TV . He used to be interested in politics but is now more likely to talk about pop culture. He has become really thoughtless but I don't think he can help it.
Feel he needs help but extremely difficult to approach him on any subject.
My mother is in a nursing home with vascular dementia. I am trying very hard to keep myself positive. Not sure how to get support or what next ???

chezzie

Jul 25, 2012
I have been awake since 3.30a.m. worrying about my husband's increasingly difficult behaviour. His parents had Alzhheimers and it has occurred to me previously that he may be showing signs.
However he has become very difficult lately - mood swings and unreasonable behaviour. Becomes angry and screams and shouts at the slightest remark. He has forgotten some surprising (was looking at a picture on our wall of a place we know very well and had no idea where it was) and seems to be slowing down in his thinking. Used to read a lot but doesn't now. Chooses to watch really unchallenging TV . He used to be interested in politics but is now more likely to talk about pop culture. He has become really thoughtless but I don't think he can help it.
My mother is in a nursing home with vascular dementia. I am trying very hard to keep myself positive. Not sure how to get support or what next ???

Hi there, so sorry to hear you are having such a difficult time. It certainly sounds as though your husband needs a health check to rule out other causes for his behaviour. If he is aware of how he is perhaps you could persuade home to see his GP? I do hope you manage to get some help. Take care.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Sandie

Not sure how to get support or what next ???

What a worry for you, especially with your own experiences of dementia and your husband`s family history.

I can only suggest you keep a diary of your husband`s behaviours which are causing concern, take it to his GP after a couple of weeks and see what is suggested.

Don`t leave it too long.

My mother had dementia but I didn`t recognise it in my husband when his behaviour changed . Instead I lived through years of unhappiness not knowing what to do.

hollybough

Jan 8, 2015
I'm very sorry and feeling your isolation! Im in similar position with my husband, only different symptoms. Please don't be discouraged. I am going to gp this week to talk over my concerns about my husband. Maybe you could do same? Please take care!

kaycee30

Feb 4, 2015
If you're finding this a difficult subject to discuss, speak with the GP in confidence. Keep a diary in the first instance and then pass all to GP.
With my Dad, the GP had a call from Mum with her concrrns and the GP called my Dad in for a wellbeing check, which included a 6 question test, which he failed. The GP discussed the outcomes and offered him a referral to a memory clinic for further assessments and possible drugs to slow the disease, pleased to say, so far 18 konths on, he is still as he was, with l short term memory problems.
hope this helps x