Behavioral problems at night

rob6093

Jan 22, 2022
Hi

My father is 95, has dementia, and is bind. He has now come to live with us for the past month. During the day he is reasonably lucid, pleasant and cheerful with his carers, and able to discuss issues about his situation. At night time, he becomes totally confused, about who his family is, where he is living, who is supposed to be at home, worrying about family members who aren't home (usually his long deceased parents), wanting to go home (where he lived 75 years ago), accusing us of kidnapping him, not caring about persons who should be home, etc. Once he has settled down and goes to bed, he usually sleeps through till 08:30 the next day, totally refreshed, can't remember anything about the previous night, and the cycle repeats. He is on daily Zopiclone and Trazadone, which he takes at night, he doesn't sleep much during the day. Has anyone got any advice?

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Welcome to DTP @rob6093

It sounds as though your dad is suffering from sundowning which is a common and distressing worsening of symptoms of a PWD in the evenings , but not something I've had to deal with.

If you type 'sundowning' in to the search box at the top of the page you should find several threads about the subject.

I imagine people who have dealt with this will be along soon with suggestions of how to cope.