Behaiviour Issues

Nightshade01

Nov 24, 2019
My Mum picks her nose on a daily basis and I can't stand it and wish it would stop. She sometimes behaves like a child running and of the kitchen giggling at me when I'm going up the stairs and mimicking my behaviour. She also gets false visions in her head and mishears what I tell her sometimes. I'm waiting for her to be assessed.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I sympathise @Nightshade01

It`s really difficult when a parent you have respected and admired loses all their inhibitions.

The nose picking must be really awful to live with no matter how many times you tell yourself your mother would be horrified if she knew her illness would have this affect on her behaviour.

Even a young child would learn if they were told nose picking was unacceptable. Your poor mum has gone even beyond that.

I hope she gets her assessment as soon as possible and then you may be able to get some support.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
One of the unfortunate parts of dementia is how social inhibitions can be lost. Childish behaviour, racist language, inappropriate body scratching in public are just some of the ways this is presented.

My mother didn't pick her nose but went through a long phase of clearing her throat every minute or so. It drove me mad. Then later in her disease she was grinding her teeth constantly, to the point it could be heard 8 feet away. That also drove me mad. There were absolutely no physical reasons for this - it was strictly down to her Alzheimer's.

I hope that once your mother is properly assessed, appropriate medication will be prescribed and it will help ease up these annoying and frustrating behaviours.

Nightshade01

Nov 24, 2019
Sometimes it gets too much to take with my Mum as she starts excessively nagging and thinks it is me that is causing issues. And she sometimes gets snappy and thinks it's me that is shouting and confused. It does get annoying.