Bees in bonnet

patsy56

Jan 14, 2015
Fife Scotland
Hi, just wondering here, is this sort of thing part of the illness. Mother goes on and on about her freezer, it is making a funny noise, it is going to break down, then someone turns thermostart up and yes everything freezes, so I turn down, she goes on and on about it.

Now B is starting to go on and on about the heating and boiler. We had gas board round because he had gritty eyes and was running a temp, and he had blue lips, turned out he was over heating. Now he is going on and on about heating.

Can someone tell me if this is part of the progress.

balloo

Sep 21, 2013
northamptonshire
Hi, just wondering here, is this sort of thing part of the illness. Mother goes on and on about her freezer, it is making a funny noise, it is going to break down, then someone turns thermostart up and yes everything freezes, so I turn down, she goes on and on about it.

Now B is starting to go on and on about the heating and boiler. We had gas board round because he had gritty eyes and was running a temp, and he had blue lips, turned out he was over heating. Now he is going on and on about heating.

Can someone tell me if this is part of the progress.

my MIL did this with heating before she moved in with us kept ringing us or boiler man saying it was nit coming on when it should we went up many times in the end boiler man rang us and said he would not answer her calls any more .that was 21/2 years ago she been living with us .

Delphie

Dec 14, 2011
My mum fixated on her boiler too, and her toilet. She was convinced neither worked.

I showed her repeatedly that both were fine and even had a plumber out a few times to reassure her. The boiler would go on (of course) she'd be surprised and delighted... and then after a short period of time she'd go back to thinking it wasn't working or that there was something wrong with it and it would explode if turned on.

Her house was freezing and she was using pans and the garden instead of the toilet. This went on for a very long time and was one of the significant factors in the decision to move her to a care home.

sinkhole

Jan 28, 2015
My aunt keeps switching off her fridge. Each time I visit her house, I turn it back on (after chucking out all the rotten food) but next time I'm there it's been turned off again.

There's no point in discussing it with her as she won't even know she's doing it. I think it stems from my family's insistence over the years to always turn all appliances off at the wall socket when not in use. Cooker, microwave, kettle, the lot!

If it becomes a serious issue, I'll just plug the fridge into another (hidden) socket where she can't get to it.

I would say the best course of action with heating, radiators, boilers etc. is to install tamper-proof controls or source covers you can put over the controls to stop them being altered. This is what I'll be doing in my mum's house when we install central heating there shortly.

A couple of weeks ago, my mum rang me to say she had no hot water. We naturally assumed the timer or immersion heater had been fiddled with or gone wrong, but it turned out my aunt had left the hot water tap running in the bathroom all day. That led to me looking about for auto-shutoff taps, which I'll also be installing when we refit the bathroom there.

There's usually a gadget somewhere which helps find a solution to these problems, but staying one step ahead can be a challenge!

Last edited:

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Mum kept on switching off her central heating and couldnt work out how to control the temperature on her shower. She was convinced that the people who lived upstairs were pinching all her heating.
She lived in a bungalow.

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
Very afternoon at 3 MOL would ring in a state that heating was never going to come on again, it was then 2.30, 1, 10 am etc. she would then turn it up to maximum, the heating would go off as do hot and the calls would start again.

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
Same experience here

My Mum was obsessed with the boiler and was continually turning off the gas to it and turning knobs. Thankfully we had a call out contract but the engineer eventually took the knobs off and showed me how to put them back on in case of emergency.

At no time could my mum ever see that she was the one turning off the boiler or leaving the fridge and freezer open. Or the hot taps running. Or the outside door wide open in the winter. Or phoning people at 3am thinking it was 3pm. Or phoning the police about the neighbours having an all night party when they are actually in bed.

Its so hard to watch someone you love struggle so much.
Thinking of you

patsy56

Jan 14, 2015
Fife Scotland
My Mum was obsessed with the boiler and was continually turning off the gas to it and turning knobs. Thankfully we had a call out contract but the engineer eventually took the knobs off and showed me how to put them back on in case of emergency.

At no time could my mum ever see that she was the one turning off the boiler or leaving the fridge and freezer open. Or the hot taps running. Or the outside door wide open in the winter. Or phoning people at 3am thinking it was 3pm. Or phoning the police about the neighbours having an all night party when they are actually in bed.

Its so hard to watch someone you love struggle so much.
Thinking of you

thank you everyone.

patsy56

Jan 14, 2015
Fife Scotland
Me again B is now back on about the boiler. We got it checked out and nothing wrong but he is on about it again. Also has not let me have c5 mins to myself following me about.

Last edited: