been lurking for a while

Discussion in 'ARCHIVE FORUM: Support discussions' started by taylorcat, Feb 4, 2008.

1. taylorcat

taylorcat Registered User

Jun 18, 2006
    W.Scotland
    Not posted for a while, although I have been on and off reading posts.

I'm sorry to say my Dad died just before Christmas. Some of you may remember he was diagnosed with myeoloid leukaemia. Strange thing was when my daughter and I went to visit Mum that same night she said "how nice it is to see the three of you together". Don't suppose we'll ever know what she meant.

I'm now having a problem having his company pension paid to my Mum. I'm in Scotland, can anybody give me any help.

2. Lucille

Lucille Registered User

Sep 10, 2005
    Dear Taylorcat

So sorry to hear about your dad. I can't offer any advice about the pension query, but just to let you know am thinking about you and your family.

3. jenniferpa

jenniferpa Volunteer Moderator

Jun 27, 2006
    Dear Taylorcat

I'm sorry to hear about your father. I don't have any advice about the pension I'm afraid - does the CAB system extend to Scotland? I assume it does.

4. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    Dear Taylorcat, Such sad news about your father. Please accept me deepest sympathy.

I`m so sorry I`m unable to offer any advice about his pension. Do you think it would be best to contact the pension provider? Your father would have been asked to sign his pension over to your mother in the event of his death. I don`t think it happens automatically.

5. christine_batch

christine_batch Registered User

Jul 31, 2007
    Buckinghamshire
    Dear Taylorcat,
    I send my sincere condolences on the passing of your Father.
    Take care
    Christine

6. snooky

snooky Registered User

May 12, 2007
    devon
    Dear Taylorcat,
    Just wanted to send my sincere sympathy to you and your family on the passing of your dad. I too, am unable to help with your pension query, can the local CAB help, they always seem to have the answers for a lot of things or be able to point you in the right direction.
    Look after yourself.
    Snooky xx

7. gigi

gigi Registered User

Nov 16, 2007
    East Midlands
    Dear Taylorcat,

Sorry to hear about your dad..it's always tough to lose a parent..and your mum, bless her, seems unaware..that's tough too..

Regarding pension..
    I think this advice is the best..pensions are not automatically paid to the next of kin..it depends on the arrangement..so contact the pension provider as Sylvia has advised..hope you get things sorted..

Love Gigi x

8. Margarita

Margarita Registered User

Feb 17, 2006
    london
    #8 Margarita, Feb 4, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
    Sorry to read about your father passing away .

When my father pass away , I had to phone the
    the office that dealt with my father privet company pension , send them my father death certificate few other documents , they did take a long while for them to calculate how much money my mother was entitled to from it and it was less then what he was getting when he was alive , but she got it at the end.

9. taylorcat

Jun 18, 2006
    W.Scotland
    Thanks all.

The pension provider will not pay the pension to my mum because she is unable to sign the dependent's form. They tell me I will have to go through the Courts now to get some Order to allow me to sign it on her behalf. If I dont do this they will not pay out.

10. Margarita

Margarita Registered User

Feb 17, 2006
    london
    Did you never get an EPOA for her ?

11. gigi

gigi Registered User

Nov 16, 2007
    East Midlands
    Maggie..you took the words out of my mouth!!

Taylorcat..EPOA..Enduring Power of Attorney..enables you to sign on behalf of your mum..

I'm assuming you don't have it otherwise you wouldn't be asking..
    Personally I don't know where you go from there..am sure someone else will come up with something..

I don't know if you can do EPA retrospectively..but I doubt it..

Anybody any ideas...?

Love Gigi x

12. taylorcat

Jun 18, 2006
    W.Scotland
    We never got Power of Attorney because Dad always just dealt with everything for both of them.

13. jenniferpa

jenniferpa Volunteer Moderator

Jun 27, 2006
    And you're in Scotland, of course, where the rules are different. Unless CAB has any other suggestions I'm guessing that that's what you'll have to do - avail yourself of whatever the scottish system is for people who didn't make any form of advantage directive.

14. Margaret W

Margaret W Registered User

Apr 28, 2007
    North Derbyshire
    I know nothing about the Scottish System, or even really the English system, but most pensions have a register of the person's spouse to whom any pension should be payable, it is often 50% of the pensioner's entitlement and should be pretty automatic. It might be possible that your dad never notified them of his wife, so check that out. Other than that, I would imagine a simple form from a solicitor, on production of his death certificate and his will, will sort that for a few quid.

Regards

Margaret

15. taylorcat

Jun 18, 2006
    W.Scotland
    Thanks, Margaret, Dad would have told them Mum was his next of kin. I think they're just being really awkward about it. A letter won't do apparently. I had to go to Court and get some kind of Order. I've been coping fine up till now but all this is really upsetting me and I'm quite down today because of it. Having to get mental health reports on Mum etc.etc. They make you feel like you're trying to get something that you're not entitled to.